7 Ways to De-Stress on a Budget

Simple tips and tricks on how to relax (without spending any money)

Here are seven simple ways to keep stress out of your life -- without spending a single cent.

Photo by CBC

Photo by CBC

Natalie Pearson, Entertainment Editor

As the 2018-2019 school year is just beginning, many students are already feeling the pressure. Although everyone deserves a break, sometimes your schedule or budget doesn’t leave room for spending over 100 dollars at Lush. Here are seven inexpensive and scientifically proven methods of relaxation.

1. Take a walk

Going outside can help relieve stress. A study published by Harvard Men’s Health Watch states that moderate exercise improves cardiac risk factors such as cholesterol, and protects against dementia and obesity. Taking a 10-minute walk also gives you time to think and get out of the stressful environment. All of it is good for natural, healthy stress relief.

1. Clean up your room

A clear surface makes for a clear mind. Coming home to a cluttered space visualizes the stress you’re feeling and perhaps even causes it. Taking out the trash and cleaning up that pile of clothes on your floor alleviates stress and gives you a sense of accomplishment.

1. Paint, sculpt, or dance

You don’t have to be “good” at art to gain health benefits from it. A study published in the journal ‘Art Therapy’ found that making art, no matter what form, lowers stress hormone levels. Painting and sculpting are also found to have similar benefits to meditation. Dancing, a form of exercise, releases endorphins, a chemical that relieves pain and induces feelings of pleasure or euphoria.

1. Listen to music

Turning on your favorite tunes is always helpful for stress relief. It serves as a distraction from the world and is a great mood-booster. Listening to classical music, specifically, has been proven to improve sleep quality and manage pain, as well as reduce stress.

1. Meditate

Yoga and meditation have been stress relievers for centuries. A study done in 2012 by the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health found that meditation improves anxiety and depression and reduces symptoms of anxiety overall.

1. Watch a movie

Sitting down and watching a movie or some television is another easy way to reduce stress. It is also a distraction from the stress of the day and a way to have some down-time. Avoid horror movies, though, and instead go for a lighthearted comedy, as fear increases stress. Laughter, however, is a good way to prevent stress.

1. Have a conversation with someone

Despite all of this, sometimes all we really need is to speak with someone. If you’re feeling extremely overwhelmed or are having depressive thoughts, talk to your parents, a trusted friend, or your counselor. It helps to tell someone what you’re stressed about and why. It provides solutions and is the best way to de-stress.

Natalie Pearson

Natalie became a member of the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in band. Outside of school, she enjoys watching movies and playing video games. You can email her at [email protected]