Four Teams Remain In the Race for the Crown

Championship Series begins in the MLB Postseason

The official  baseball of the MLB Postseason

The official baseball of the MLB Postseason

Photo by Fox Sports

Photo by Fox Sports

Jack McGonigal, Sports Assistant

The annual Championship series round is set for the 2018 Major League Baseball postseason.

The National League features a team that reached the ‘Fall Classic’ a year ago, the Los Angeles Dodgers. They are taking on a team who has only made it this far in the postseason twice before, the last being in 2011. The Dodgers are known for the long ball; they lead the National League in home runs as a team. Home run hitting isn’t the only thing in their arsenal, as they possess one of the best starting pitchers in the league, Clayton Kershaw. The Dodgers bullpen also consists of a top notch closer who has closed the door on basically every team he has faced. Kenley Jansen is the man in Hollywood that is known for silencing his opponents with his heat, as well as his offspeed that can fool anyone.

Los Angeles has many new faces within its lineup you didn’t see a year ago. Max Muncy is one of the most patient batters in the league, but when he gets a hold of one you can expect to find it somewhere in the outfield bleachers. Longtime Orioles third baseman Manny Machado has joined the team, and has moved from third base to shortstop, and has performed significantly so far in the time he’s been with the Dodgers. Machado came in as a top five third baseman, but manager Dave Roberts knew how versatile he was which resulted in him making the move. The Dodgers are seeking their first World Series since 1989, and this might be the year they have the supplies to do so.

The Milwaukee Brewers come in as the top dogs in the National League. The Brewers had been trailing the Chicago Cubs all year long in the National League Central Division race, and ends up matching their record at the end of the season. This resulted in a tiebreaker game in Chicago. The Brewers won that game by a score of 3-1.

Milwaukee hasn’t looked back since as they swept the Colorado Rockies in three games, all led behind the horsepower of soon-to-be National League MVP Christian Yelich. Yelich joined the team this season, and has been putting up Triple Crown like numbers. Milwaukee also snagged a few guys from the Kansas City Royals, as center fielder Lorenzo Cain and third baseman Mike Moustakas were acquired for minor leaguers to the Royals. The Brewers also have a very good relief pitcher they can count on in moments like this. Long haired, tatted up, Josh Hader throws pure smoke, and completely fooled the Colorado Rockies in the Division series. He will be counted on heavily in this series as games come down to crunch time.

The defending World Series Champion Houston Astros are back for more. They are fueled by one of the shorter guys baseball has seen in the likes of their second baseman Jose Altuve. Jose has many surrounding weapons on the offensive side with his partner in crime Carlos Correa. Houston has so many different keys to success as they can come through with anything you might need.

Their pitching staff has one of the nest starting rotations in baseball. Justin Verlander and Dallas Keuchel lead the pitching staff hoping to be as deadly as they were a year ago. There’s no exaggerating when you say the Astros have their hands full in the ALCS. Houston has to travel to Boston and take on one arguably the best team the Red Sox have ever put on the field. Houston looks to repeat, but they’re going to need all phases of their game to be top notch just to reach the World Series.

The Boston Red Sox who owns the best record in baseball had little trouble sneaking by their arch-rival New York Yankees. Boston has so many offensive gems that it’s so difficult to shut down everybody for an entire nine innings of play. Boston is fueled by Mookie Betts, and Designated Hitter JD Martinez who was just one of three players to hit more than 40 home runs in the regular season.

Boston’s pitching staff has one of the veteran closers in the league with Craig Kimbrell. Longtime starting pitcher David Price also is a part of the pitching staff, who has been at this stage before. Boston has one of the most loyal fan bases in baseball, and no matter where they play, Red Sox nation will show up. Boston and Houston is must-see TV all series long, with the winner getting home-field advantage in the Fall Classic.

Jack McGonigal

Jack joined the Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in Guardians, Skyhawks For Life and announces various sporting events at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school, he enjoys watching baseball, running and spending time with friends. You can email him at [email protected]