Mrs. Cronican: Llama Owner and Math Extraordinaire

Mrs. Cronican answers questions about her life, pets, and hobbies

In addition to being a devoted math teacher, Mrs. Cronican loves animals and crafts

Photo by Gracie Killgore

Photo by Gracie Killgore

Gracie Killgore, Op/Ed Editor

Mrs. Cronican is beloved by many at Skutt Catholic through her humorous personality and excellent math teaching skills. From helping students comprehend math to leading the Skutt Catholic chess club, Mrs. Cronican never fails to impress.

Tell me a little about yourself.

I live in Springfield on an acreage with lots of different animals. I have three children who are all grown and out of the house now. They were all graduates of Skutt Catholic. I’ve been married for 30 years to my high school sweetheart. I graduated from Gross High School because Skutt Catholic was not here but I consider myself more of a SkyHawk than a Gross Cougar because I have been here at Skutt Catholic for 21 years.

How long have you been a math teacher and what lead you to become a math teacher?

I have been a math teacher for around 28 or 29 years. I became a math teacher because I had an awesome Geometry teacher in high school. I absolutely hate Geometry, even to this day, and I hated it then. I hated it in college when I had to take it there. But the thing that turned me on to math was my geometry teacher stood up one day in class and said he hated to read, and I also hate reading. He said that’s why he did math, because you don’t have to read in math. I was like, “Wow, that sounds awesome.” So then I just started doing as best I could in my math classes.

I have seen you wear llama patterned clothes often. Why do you like them so much and do you have any?

I have four llamas. Lily is the mom and Bernie is the dad. Their two sons are named Larry and Linus. Llamas are the most friendly animals besides a dog that I have ever encountered. They’re very curious and they have beautiful big eyes. Mr. Engelkamp asked that I bring one again this year for open house, so I probably will. They have a bad reputation of spitting all the time, but they only spit at each other only food. If you take treats near the llamas, you have to make sure you give each of them one really quick or else they all spit at each other because they want the treat.

What are some of your favorite hobbies?

I like doing crafts, and I grow honey so I do a lot of stuff with beeswax. I make my own soap, lip gloss, and bath bombs. I also like working outside, so I have tons of flower gardens, and this year I decided to grow lavender so I could make my own essential oils.

What is your favorite part of teaching?

My favorite part of teaching is when I can see in a student’s face that the light goes on, or when they realize that math isn’t as hard as they thought it was going to be. I want kids to learn that anybody can do math.

Gracie Killgore

Gracie joined The Flightline in January of 2018. She is a junior this year, involved in tennis, HOSA and FBLA . Outside of school, she enjoys online shopping, hanging out with friends and watching Netflix. You can email her at [email protected]