Trump Agrees to FBI Investigation of Kavanaugh; Senate Vote Imminent

McConnell promises to vote on Kavanaugh “this week”

Judge Brett Kavanaugh, who has been accused of sexual assault by Christine Blasey Ford, testified last week amid much controversy.

Photo by The Atlantic

Photo by The Atlantic

Photo by The Atlantic

Natalie Pearson, Entertainment Editor

After the hearing this past Thursday, there have been many developments regarding Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, who has been accused of sexual assault by Christine Blasey Ford. The two both gave emotional testimonies on Sept. 27, and after much deliberation the Senate vote on Kavanaugh’s nomination was delayed. It is not certain when exactly they will vote.

However, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) vowed that the Senate would vote soon. “The Senate will vote on Judge Kavanaugh here on this floor this week,” McConnell said Tuesday morning, according to NBC News. “After the FBI shares what they’ve found, the senators will have the opportunity to vote.”

The exact effects of the vote will largely depend on the outcome, but it will be a momentous occasion regardless of the decision.

The White House has also agreed to a “comprehensive” but “quick” FBI investigation into Kavanaugh, setting a one-week deadline for the probe. “I think the FBI should do what they have to do to get to the answer,” said President Trump, according to ABC. “I want them to do a very comprehensive investigation.”

The White House specifically requested interviews with four people: Kavanaugh’s high school friends Mark Judge and P.J. Smyth; Leland Keyser, who Blasey Ford identified at the gathering where she was sexually assaulted, and Deborah Ramirez, a college acquaintance of Kavanaugh’s who also accused him of sexual misconduct.

Sources say that as of late the FBI has been authorized to investigate whoever it wants, but this has yet to be proven accurate.

The FBI is expected to complete its investigation as early as Oct. 3, but according to McConnell they will not release their findings to the public. The FBI has also announced that they will not interview Kavanaugh nor Blasey Ford during the investigation, a statement that has caused much controversy since its release.

Update: As of Oct. 4, 2018, the FBI has completed their investigation and the Senate will be allowed to review their findings and let it factor into their decisions in terms of the vote. The public is still not allowed to see any part of the documents.

Natalie Pearson

Natalie became a member of the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in band. Outside of school, she enjoys watching movies and playing video games. You can email her at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “Trump Agrees to FBI Investigation of Kavanaugh; Senate Vote Imminent”

1. Lisa Pearson on October 8th, 2018 11:25 am

I liked it Natalie. You did your job without trying to influence the reader.

• Trump Agrees to FBI Investigation of Kavanaugh; Senate Vote Imminent

Ukraine Declares Martial Law

Advent Drive Commences and Competition Ensues

Two Trials Down, Two to Go

New Entryway Improves School Safety

One-Act Takes Two at Kearney

Journalist Jim Acosta Banned from White House

Dr. Seuss’ “The Grinch” Receives an Upgrade

Minority Rule

2-Alarm Apartment Fire Destroys Homes, Misplaces Families

Voters Cast Ballots for Midterm Election Day