Softball Sweeps Competition in Lincoln

Softball team goes unbeaten in Lincoln tourmamemt

Softball Sweeps Competition in Lincoln

Softball team poses for picture with gold medals

Jack McGonigal, Sports Assistant

The Skutt Catholic softball team set foot for a full day of softball this past Saturday when they ventured to Lincoln, Nebraska for three crucial tournament games. “We need to focus on one game at a time, and play the way we know we can play.” said Senior left fielder Lauren Milone. The day would start off at 11 am with the Blair Bears, followed by a 1 pm start time with the Millard West Wildcats, then the tournament would rap up at 7 pm against the Lincoln East Spartans.

The SkyHawks jumped out to a 2-0 lead early on the Bears in the bottom of the first inning. A pitcher’s duel in the early on. As the game went on the Bears took a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the fifth. Back and forth they went in just the first game of three Saturday, Freshman Lauren Camenzind doubles off the wall to score Seniors Kaylee Vampola and Lauren Milone. The bottom of the 5th had arrived and Skutt Catholic extended their lead by a score of 8-3 as the SkyHawks decided to play long ball with home runs from Freshman twins Lauren and Hannah Camenzind. The final result would be 8-3.

The second game was the most anticipated matchup of the day as Skutt Catholic would take on the Millard West Wildcats. The first three innings were scoreless as both starting pitchers were pitching lights out. Later on, in the top of the fourth the Wildcats go up 1-0 with a solo shot out to left. Later that inning, Senior Elise Warneke flies one over the fence to put Skutt Catholic ahead 2-1.

Millard West wouldn’t go away just yet as they double and put themselves back in front 3-2. With just three outs left, Senior Lauren Milone doubled to lead things off, and get the momentum into the SkyHawks hands’. After that, a sacrifice bunt, followed by a game tying base hit from Lauren Camenzind got the crowd fired up. Next, Lauren’s twin sister Hannah comes through with a walkoff bass hit to seal the deal and upset the Wildcats by a score of 4-3 in a wild ending.

A long layover in between that astonishing Millard West game, and now up was the Lincoln East Spartans. The SkyHawks hitting from that seventh inning before, carried into this final game as the SkyHawks plated five runs in the first inning, followed by a seven run inning in the second. Everybody on the roster found themselves on the field in the final game as Skutt Catholic took care of business in a 14-1 final.

“Our biggest competition moving forward is our District tournament to get to state, we know nothing is given it’s all earned. Milone continuited. The SkyHawks would be crowned champions in Lincoln, and the road to a 3rd state championship in school history begins now.

Jack McGonigal

Jack joined the Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in Guardians, Skyhawks For Life and announces various sporting events at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school, he enjoys watching baseball, running and spending time with friends. You can email him at [email protected]