College Fairs Are Not Dead

They are important and here’s why

At+college+fairs%2C+college+reps+often+give+out+pamphlets+or+info+cards+about+the+institution%27s+honors+program%2C+financial+aid%2C+or+course+options%2C+among+other+things.+
At college fairs, college reps often give out pamphlets or info cards about the institution's honors program, financial aid, or course options, among other things.

Photo by Natalie Pearson

Photo by Natalie Pearson

Natalie Pearson, Entertainment Editor

In the age of the internet, most if not all information about colleges and universities can be found at the click of a button. There is an alternative, however: a college fair. A college fair is a gathering where prospective college students can meet face to face with admissions representatives from a wide variety of universities.

However, with everything being available online, many people believe college fairs are becoming obsolete. I think otherwise. These events have benefits that can last well beyond high school.

Firstly, college fairs expose you to many institutes. You have opportunities to speak with colleges you’ve already known about or check out new ones that pique your interest. At the college fair I recently attended, there were many colleges from within Nebraska as well as out of state. I wouldn’t have known half of these colleges existed without going to this event. Who knows — one may just be the perfect fit.

College fairs also help you explore your area of academic interest, whether you want to major in music or animal science. It helps to have real people to talk to and listen to their recommendations on where to start. If you’re undecided, that’s alright. Most colleges have programs that help you find what you’re interested in and declare a major. College fairs are a good way to find out more details about these programs.

Admission reps also alert you to their open house days or half days where prospective students can tour their campus and learn about all facets of campus life, including a personalized academic appointment and a session on financial aid and tuition costs.

Finally, college fairs give you important connections. I received multiple business cards from representatives there. This provided me with their contact information, a crucial part of college-searching. If I have any questions about the institution that can’t be answered with a quick Google search, I can just email or call the representative and ask.

College fairs happen in the fall and in the spring. There are many types — national college fairs and local ones. The Omaha Area College Fair just occurred this past weekend. Catholic college fairs exist as well, something Skutt Catholic has incorporated as a yearly event.

There are no fall college fairs scheduled at this time, but I urge you to go to one when you get a chance. It could help decide your future.

Natalie Pearson

Natalie became a member of the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in band. Outside of school, she enjoys watching movies and playing video games. You can email her at [email protected]