Infinite Campus Hacked

Grading service under DDOS attack

Infinite Campus’s site has been down for a week.

Photo by Infinite Campus

Nathan Fletcher, Graphics Editor

Monday, 24 September — Infinite Campus has been under attack since Monday, 17 September by an unknown assailant. The company released a statement, claiming their data centers are “frequently under attack from a variety of sources.” However, this latest attack has been far worse than anything they had dealt with before.

The attackers are using a method called “DDOS-ing,” which essentially just floods the servers of a website so that no legitimate traffic can get through. This means that infinite campus was not technically hacked; all personal data is completely safe.

After Infinite Campus fended off the first attack, the perpetrators went after their DNS providers, which caused other companies to be affected. Now, The Department of Homeland Security is involved in trying to catch the attackers and stop the flooding. They hope to stop the current attack and set up a wall of defense more prepared for future attacks.

Hopefully, the servers will be back up within the next few days. In the meantime, we will simply have to go without checking our grades (oof).

Nathan Fletcher

Nathan became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in cross country, track, and drama, and can be found watching movies outside of school. You can email him at [email protected]