Troye Sivan’s “Bloom” Preaches Rebirth

Electropop artist creates new anthems for anyone looking for love

Bloom playing on an iPhone

Bloom playing on an iPhone

Photo by Emma Brisbois

Photo by Emma Brisbois

Bloom playing on an iPhone

Emma Brisbois, Managing Editor

Troye Sivan’s sophomore album was long awaited by fans after the smash hit debut album “Blue Neighborhood” was released in June of 2015. The tortured heartbreak and overall sadness of the previous album left much to be desired — and “Bloom” surely delivered.

With Sivan’s feathery vocals and upbeat melodies, a brighter anthem for those searching for love was born. Rather than speaking of self discovery, unrequited love and loss, Sivan’s “Bloom” preaches of self-love and the quiet intimacy of true love. After an album that focused on the twisting and turning plot of one’s own coming of age story, Sivan showed that the fog of teen angst had cleared and that he was finally happy in his own skin.

In “My My My!”, the first single dropped, the thrumming pop melody proclaims a joyous love for one’s own soul and finally sharing love with another person. The swaying beat kept my interest, but I wondered if this new, happier side of Troye Sivan would be as fulfilling as his more melancholic songs of the past.

I patiently awaited the dropping of this album, the next single to drop was the album’s namesake, “Bloom.” Up against the heart wrenching ballads of “Blue Neighborhood,” the upbeat and catchy “Bloom” just couldn’t deliver the same emotional connection.

That isn’t to say that the rest of Sivan’s album didn’t show off his emotional side. In “The Good Side” Sivan sings to an ex-lover over the quiet thrumming of an acoustic guitar and melodious harp. The heartfelt lyrics pack an emotional punch over the soft melody and airy tone to Sivan’s vocals.

In the slow, sweeping ballad of “Seventeen,” Sivan laments of his earliest pandering for love. He reminisces of the immaturity of young love and the burdens that accompany the unsureness of youth. The chorus of “Plum” showcases the struggle of dealing with the so-called “honeymoon” phase in any relationship, and how something so good can only stay that way for so long. This beautiful account hits my heart’s sweet spot in lyrical content and harmonious rhythm.

But, tracks like “Dance to This” and “What a Heavenly Way to Die” didn’t deliver the rawness from Sivan that I craved. While “Dance to This” was a unique collaboration with pop legend Ariana Grande and is nice to listen to, the chorus failed to evoke any sort of emotion. The same goes for “What a Heavenly Way To Die,” which expresses Sivan’s newfound sense of self, but just doesn’t quench the yearning for the honest openness that Sivan usually broadcasts.

Sivan’s beautiful account of finding himself dusted off and fully on his feet is apparent in his telling of “Bloom.” The artist’s genuinely written lyrics and unique synth-pop sound delivers a brighter, more joyful, version of the Troye Sivan that the world fell in love with.

Emma Brisbois

Emma joined The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading and show choir. Outside of school, she enjoys going to concerts, playing the piano and hanging out with friends. You can email her at [email protected]