The Real Meaning of School Spirit

School spirit is more than cheering loud for certain teams.

Photo by Kenzie Schol

Photo by Kenzie Schol

Photo by Kenzie Schol

Clara Pohlman, Feature Editor

I love Skutt Catholic and all that it promotes, encompasses, and reaches to achieve. However, the fact is that our school is majorly lacking in having a well-rounded sense of school spirit in elements other than cheering for athletic teams. We, the Flightline, are tired of recognizing one section of the school’s teams for their achievements.

School spirit is exactly what the name implies, it means taking pride in one’s school and all of its accomplishments (emphasis on the ALL). It does not mean that just because one team may be particularly good in a given year, that students should cheer them on. Rather, it means no matter how a group, team, or person finishes in any sort of competition, that they will have a support system that cheers them on, simply because they come from the same school.

Activities such as robotics, chess club, and speech deserve such recognition by the Skutt Catholic Student body. An overwhelming amount of students are unaware of the fact that last year our Skutt Catholic Robotics team traveled to China to attend a National Robotics Conference. Or that the chess club has won five state titles in the past five years. And finally, the SkyHawk Speech Team had three students place in the top fifteen in their respective events last year at nationals in Denver, CO.

Where were the raging Skutt Catholic fans when activities such as these accomplished such incredible feats? Posting a picture on a social media platform with a caption like, “I bleed green and black,” or “love my Hawks,” does not constitute a person as being a true example of what school spirit really looks like.

Now I admit to not living up to my word here because I definitely do not support every single Skutt Catholic team or group as well as I am able. So, on behalf of the Flightline, this is a call to action. A call to changing the status quo and embracing every athlete, performer, thinker, and person at Skutt Catholic to the very best of our ability. Let’s strive for greatness because we should all believe in this great school we call our own.

Clara Pohlman

Clara joined the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in speech, show choir, and theatre. Outside of school she loves working as a princess for children's birthday parties. You can email her at [email protected]