College Football is Underway

The 2018 college football season has begun.

Teams from across the country’s seasons have begun

Photo by Fox Sports

Photo by Fox Sports

Jack McGonigal, Assistant Sports Editor

The 2018 college football season has officially begun with many exciting week one matchups. The Alabama Crimson Tide came into the season as the number one team in the country. Alabama took care of Louisville 51-14 Saturday night.

Many fans around the area were more than excited to see what the Nebraska Cornhuskers had to display in their opener against the Akron Zips. Unfortunately, weather played a major role in the outcome of the contest. 90,000 anticipated husker fans swarm into Memorial Stadium, only to witness kickoff and wait an additional two hours and forty minutes for the university to cancel the game.

Later that evening, Fox Sports announced that this game would be played at 10:30 am the following morning, only to be taken down by the media. The Nebraska Cornhuskers have been projected to finish even or slightly above by many across the nation. “I expect Nebraska to go 7-5, or 6-6 this season.” Sophomore Grant O’Doherty said. Nebraska has one of the toughest schedules in the country this season, having to travel to Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio St.

This season is one of the most anticipated seasons since the Tom Osborne due to the return of ex-quarterback Scott Frost. “It’s exciting to have a former player and a coach that led a team to a perfect season last season to come coach in Lincoln.” O’Dohrety continued. Nebraska failed to reach a bowl game last season, but it will be a gradual process to return to the level the Cornhuskers were on in the 1990s.

Nationally, the College Football Playoff is a conversation experts discuss throughout the course of the season. Alabama is the only team to never miss the playoff, and certainly aren’t expected to miss it this year. National runner ups the Georgia Bulldogs, and 2016-17 national champion Clemson Tigers are a team that has the country’s attention. The final team is always a tossup. It’s always a fight for the fourth spot, but college football is a league that nobody is safe.

Jack McGonigal

Jack joined the Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in Guardians, Skyhawks For Life and announces various sporting events at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school, he enjoys watching baseball, running and spending time with friends. You can email him at [email protected]