Omaha Celebrates Labor Day Weekend With ‘SeptemberFest’

Annual 4-day-long festival observes its 41st year

The parade is often a highlight of the festival, but this particular year there were five balloons

The parade is often a highlight of the festival, but this particular year there were five balloons "at the same quality and scale as the Macy's parade," according to the official SeptemberFest website. One such balloon is pictured above.

Photo by James Pearson

Photo by James Pearson

Natalie Pearson, Entertainment Editor

Since 1977, SeptemberFest has offered four days of entertainment, food and fun to the people of Omaha. This year’s annual ‘Salute to Labor’ took place from August 31st to September 3rd on Lot D near the CenturyLink Center.

Activities included multiple tournaments — such as an arm-wrestling competition and a cook-off — as well as live music, a car show, a carnival, daredevil acts and much more. The festival concluded with Omaha’s largest parade — 80 units participated with about 3500 walkers, all to celebrate Omaha’s labor unions.

“It’s a great thing we have,” said SeptemberFest chairman and founder Terry Moore, according to the Omaha World-Herald. Moore organized the first SeptemberFest to attract people back to downtown. “And it worked,” Moore said. “It was tremendously successful. Anything I can do to help downtown Omaha grow, I’m going to do that.”

Moore was also president of the Omaha Federation of Labor, but stepped aside in 2017. Even after his exit, SeptemberFest is still helping promote organized labor and Omaha’s blue-collar workers.

Skutt Catholic also participated in the multi-day event. Skutt Catholic’s marching band, the ‘Marching SkyHawks,’ were one of the many entrants in the Labor Day parade Monday morning. This would mark their first parade in five years.

Photo by James Pearson
Skutt Catholic’s marching band, the ‘Marching SkyHawks,’ also participated in the parade. The parade lasted two hours and the route measured around eight blocks in total.

“It’s one of those things we’ve heard of in the past,” said band director Ms. Rosario Nelson, referring to SeptemberFest. “And we’ve wanted to do parades, plus this would be great for fundraising and exposure. I’d like to have at least one parade a year.”

“I thought it was really, really fun,” said senior drum major Maria LaSala. “It was a new experience for all of us. It was challenging, but we persevered and did our best.”

SeptemberFest 2018 ended without incident, and many in Omaha are looking forward to another fun-filled Labor Day weekend next year.

Natalie Pearson

Natalie became a member of the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in band. Outside of school, she enjoys watching movies and playing video games. You can email her at [email protected]