Administration Adds to Breathalyzing Policy

Skutt Catholic Administration tightens policies on brethalyzing before games.

Photo by Molly Grewe

Photo by Molly Grewe

Photo by Molly Grewe

Photo by Molly Grewe

Clara Pohlman, Feature Editor

August 29, 2018 — In a recent email from Skutt Catholic Vice Principal, Mr. Michael Bailey, the students and parents of Skutt Catholic were informed of the new breathalyzing policy before the first home football game this Friday. The 173rd policy of the student handbook clearly outlines the prohibition of alcohol being used by students in any context.

“Skutt Catholic will employ alcohol breathalyzers to establish and maintain a safe, positive, and controlled environment at school-sponsored extracurricular activities and events,” Bailey stated.

The hopes of checking bags, breathalyzing students upon entry, and randomly selecting students from the cheering section, is to deter students from the desire for participation in illegal activity. The administration also wishes to administer a greater sense of school spirit, without the appeal of using illegal means to do so.

Despite administration testing only the Skutt Catholic student fans, Mr. Bailey encourages everyone to be in good accordance with the Skutt Catholic policies in place. “We encourage everyone in attendance to conduct themselves in a manner which positively and appropriately reflects the setting: a high school event,” Bailey said.

Students who plan on attending Friday’s game should be prepared to show their Student ID, take a breathalyzer test, and have their items searched by teachers and administration at the entrance gates.

Clara Pohlman

Clara joined the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in speech, show choir, and theatre. Outside of school she loves working as a princess for children's birthday parties. You can email her at [email protected]