Experiencing the Runaway

My third season walking in Omaha Fashion Week

Experiencing the Runaway

Adella Smolsky, Birdfeed Editor

My first experience in Omaha Fashion Week, Omaha’s largest fashion show, was in February 2016 when I

Models on the runway model Tirzah Beam’s “The Shining” line.

walked for Tirzah Beam, now Tirzah Crawford. Her line that year was based on the movie The Shining. The looks were pretty simple at the start, then towards the end of her line, they were more dramatic to signify this same shift within the plot of the movie. The dress I wore was short and gray with a white floral design.

The second time I walked in Omaha Fashion Week was that same week. This time it was for the “Hair and Makeup Show,” a show where the outfit design is very simple and the focus is on the makeup and hair. For that show, during intermission, I modeled the boutique items being sold in the VIP Lounge, where VIP ticket holders can shop exclusive items. I modeled a beige poncho, black leggings, and assorted jewelry from the boutique.

Designer Alicia Ybarra poses for a photo on the Borsheims Red Carpet with her models from her “Redemption Line.”

One of my favorite times walking in Omaha Fashion Week was when I modeled a wedding gown for Vanya Designs by Alicia Ybarra in August 2017. She created a beautiful wedding gown line where models had a black chiffon hoodie over the dress and slowly took it off and held it to the side as they walked down the runway.

Women are all unsure of themselves in some area and are always criticizing their height, weight, etc. This “unveiling” represented her concept of “beauty from ashes” which signifies letting go of the insecurities that all women face. The proceeds from her line were donated to help victims of human trafficking.

Walking in the 10 Year Anniversary Show was a memorable Omaha Fashion Week

Models Kaylie Clineff and Adella Smolsky pose for a photo in front of the Model Photo Station.

moment. I modeled a short, long sleeved, burgundy dress from Kate Walz’s collection. This show was amazing to be a part of; they had the winners’ collections modeled during the past ten years, all in one night.

Models of “Throwing Dolls,” by Ameli Blaser from Designs From the North walk the runway.

My most recent Omaha Fashion Week experience was this past season. I modeled a gray knit dress with a mustard sweater along with a leaf fabric purse, all from Ideas from the North by Ameli Blaser. Her line, “Throw Dolls” was based upon the intense work of raising a child.

In every one of my unique experiences in Omaha Fashion Week, I have been more than pleased. I have worked with outstanding and compassionate designers whom I admire greatly. Omaha Fashion Week has provided me with so many wonderful opportunities that have enabled me to meet new people and to give me the experience needed in the professional modeling world.

Adella Smolsky

Adella joined the Flightline in January of 2018. She is a senior this year, involved in show choir, theatre and student council. Outside of school she is involved in Omaha Fashion Week. You can contact her at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “Experiencing the Runaway”

1. Amy Sauser on September 6th, 2018 12:16 pm

Congratulations, Adella! This is a great article and I enjoyed learning something new about you.

• Experiencing the Runaway

Skutt Catholic Girls Basketball Outpace Roncalli

• Features

Foreign Exchange Students Share Holiday Traditions

• Experiencing the Runaway

US, China Reach Truce in Trade War; Chinese Executive Arrested

• Experiencing the Runaway

“Fantastic Beasts” is Incredibly Average

• Experiencing the Runaway

Ukraine Declares Martial Law

• Experiencing the Runaway

Advent Drive Commences and Competition Ensues

• Experiencing the Runaway

Two Trials Down, Two to Go

• Experiencing the Runaway

New Entryway Improves School Safety

• Experiencing the Runaway

One-Act Takes Two at Kearney

• Experiencing the Runaway

Journalist Jim Acosta Banned from White House

Experiencing the Runaway