The Problem with Icebreakers

We all know each other already

Nathan Fletcher, Graphics Editor

Icebreakers aren’t bad in concept. Getting to know some of your classmates before the year starts is a good idea, and when many classes are group-project oriented — it could even be deemed necessary.

However, the type of information typically revealed in such games is entirely worthless. At no point in the school year will I need to know how many siblings you have. I don’t care about your dog’s name. Even if I could remember any of the information presented in icebreakers, why would I? Any information I want to know, I already do.

On the rare occasion that something interesting is shared during an icebreaker, I typically already know it. This wouldn’t apply to, say, freshmen — especially those who come from smaller schools — but by sophomore year most students already know the people they’re friends with anyway.

I already know more about my fellow classmates than I could ever possibly want. Why, then, must I go through hours of icebreakers just to forget everything I learned?

I’m not exactly a private person, but I don’t excessively share my personal life with everyone I meet. I’d rather not people know that I have a brother at the school. If people know him, that’s fine, but I don’t need random classmates to have that information.

All in all, icebreakers can become a nightmare for people who’re forced into them year after year. I’m not saying I would like to start the first day of calc with the formal definition of limits, but some other way to ease into the class would be greatly preferred.

Nathan Fletcher

Nathan became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in cross country, track, and drama, and can be found watching movies outside of school. You can email him at [email protected]