Gym Construction Limits Space for Sports Teams

Student athletes attend practices in the early hours of the morning

Gracie Killgore, Op/Ed Editor

Skutt Catholic is currently undergoing construction throughout various parts of the school, including the gym. As part of Skutt Catholic’s capital campaign, the school has decided to replace the old bleachers in the main gym and auxiliary gym with new plastic molded ones, greatly affecting the practices of many sports teams such as volleyball, girls and boys’ basketball, cheer and dance.

“The bleachers were getting rather old and hard to push in and out,” said Skutt Catholic President Jeremy Moore. “They got stuck a lot. We were worried if they got stuck in, and we wouldn’t be able to pull them out,” Moore continued.

Due to the construction of the new entryway being built, the bleachers have taken longer than expected. When the construction workers split the roof off for the entryway, water got into the Skutt Catholic gym.

The water warped the gym floor and made it necessary to install an new floor. The money used for the flooring was covered by the school’s insurance, rather than funded by the school’s capital campaign.

The new gym floor also has a shock absorbing pad underneath the flooring, which the old flooring did not have. Although this is not very noticeable when simply walking on the gym floor, it benefits athletes when doing an activity that involves jumping by providing more cushion for their landing.

Other changes in the gym included moving the cheer mat hoist into the aux gym and painting the walls. All these changes are scheduled to be completed by August 31.

Although the gym construction has its benefits, it also has caused student athletes to wake up hours before school to attend practice as early as 5 am.

“Usually we practice after school from 3:30 to 6:30,” said junior varsity volleyball player Maddie Reisbig. “Due to the construction, we have to share gym space, and two teams practice in the morning from 5:00 to 7:15,” Reisbig continued.

After all the gymnasium changes are completed, practices will return to normal times and sports teams will no longer be cramped for space.

“I am very excited for the main gym to be done and for the front entrance,” said assistant athletic director, Renee Saunders. “It shows our progress as a school and how we are looking into the future to make things better for those coming for a very long time!” Saunders continued.

Gracie Killgore

Gracie joined The Flightline in January of 2018. She is a junior this year, involved in tennis, HOSA and FBLA . Outside of school, she enjoys online shopping, hanging out with friends and watching Netflix. You can email her at [email protected]