Floods Cause Destruction Throughout Kerala

Monsoons and Mudslides Ravage Kerala

Police car attempts to drive through the flooded streets of Kerala

Photo by Wikimedia Commons

Photo by Wikimedia Commons

Photo by Wikimedia Commons

Blaine Wikoff, Media Editor

Aug. 21, 2018 — Downpours in Kerala, India have cause massive floods, wiping out civilization and killing the residents. The start of these flood are attributed to the massive downpour of rain that started Wednesday, August 8, these downpours triggered landslides, which in turn wiped out homes and bridges.

So far 350 people have died, and almost 800,000 are lost or separated from their families. The damage costs from the storm are being estimated around three billion dollars.

At first most rescue operators didn’t realize how bad it was, but now officials are calling this disaster the worst flood to hit Kerala in centuries. Across the state there have been cases of dead cattle in the water, and acres of rice fields submerged underwater, along with many vehicles.

Pope Francis recognized the victims of the flood by having a moment of silence and reverence dedicated to them during an afternoon blessing. He also said “I am close to the church in Kerala, which is on the front lines in providing aid to the people,” and called for “the concrete assistance of the international community.”

Miss Christine French – campus minister – talked about how she met some the natives that grew up in Kerala at a silent retreat. They couldn’t speak (except during mass), or be on their phones during the retreat but they would request prayers for their families during petitions.

If you’d like to donate to the cause click here.

Blaine Wikoff

Blaine joined The Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in show choir, theatre, cross country, rock climbing club and band. Outside of school he plays bass, watches movies, plays video games and listens to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. You can email him at [email protected]