SkyHawk Baseball Wins Districts

For the 11th consecutive year, Skutt Catholic advances to the state tournament

Baseball+celebrates+their+district+championship+
Baseball celebrates their district championship

Photo by Skutt baseball Twitter

Photo by Skutt baseball Twitter

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

The SkyHawks have had an excellent season so far, and they looked to continue it during districts. After defeating Arlington High School by the score of 6-1, Skutt Catholic played Elkhorn in the district final. The SkyHawks dominated Elkhorn, winning 5-0. Skutt Catholic captured another district finals, beyond the spectacular pitching and great offense.

Skutt Catholic’s first matchup in districts was against Arlington. Arlington scored first in the top of the third but the SkyHawks quickly tied it back up after senior Jackson Gordon’s single drove in Tanner Lukowski. The game would remain scoreless heading into the bottom of the fifth. J.D Daro led of the SkyHawk’s fifth with a single and he would eventually score on a error, as well as Jackson Gordon to give the SkyHawks a 3-1. Junior Jacob Legleiter’s sacrifice fly scored senior Colton Sudbeck to increase Skutt Catholic’s lead to 4-1 after 5 innings of play. This was more than enough run support for senior pitching Bryce Wesely. He was dominant, tossing 7 innings while giving up four hits, one run, and struck out seven. It was another fascinating start by Wesely, as he picked up his six win and his ERA improved to a microscopic 0.77. The win advanced Skutt Catholic to the district final.

Skutt Catholic drew first blood against Elkhorn, after junior Austin Oswald scored on a passed ball in the bottom of the second inning. In the fourth inning, Jacob Legleiter’s rbi single drove in Colton Sudbeck, who reached on a hit by pitch. The SkyHawks would continue to increase their lead in the 6th inning, after a checked swing by Colton Sudbeck plated senior Jack Johnson and Trevor Stevens. Austin Oswald also drove in a run, after his doubled put the SkyHawks ahead 5-0 with just one more inning left to play. Senior pitcher Jackson Gordon was spectacular and led the SkyHawks to a district championship, pitching seven shutout innings. He only gave up one hit, struck out eleven, and didn’t walk a single batter. “These two games have showcased our talent as a team, as we have hit and pitched extremely well”, said senior Jackson Gordon. “We will look to continue our momentum into state”, Gordon continued

Districts was a successful tournament for Skutt Catholic and will look to build upon that entering state. The SkyHawks will be the #2 seed in the tournament and face Roncalli High School in the second round of the state tournament. They will need masterful pitching performances from Wesely and Jackson, as well as timely hitting to capture their second straight state championship.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]