A Year to Remember

This year saw notable national, international events

Over the past nine months, major news events shaped the world.

Photo by Pixabay.com

Photo by Pixabay.com

Colin Fullinfaw, Copy Editor

This school year, many students witnessed news events on an unprecedented scale. From the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history, to a terrorist attack in Somalia that left scores dead, here are the top headlines of the past nine months.

In August and into September, Americans watched in horror as three successive hurricanes slammed the country, two of them striking the mainland, while the third hit the territory of Puerto Rico. With it being both one of the most destructive hurricanes in American history and the wettest, Hurricane Harvey will be talked about for years to come. Midway through the next month, Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico, triggering massive humanitarian responses not seen since Hurricane Katrina. It is also the costliest hurricane in Puerto Rican history.

On the first day of October, America witnessed the worst mass shooting in its modern history, with 58 people being killed at a country music concert in Las Vegas. Thirty-five of the fatalities hailed from California, while four lived in Canada. A few weeks later, the world stood still for Somalia after a truck bomb blew up in the capital of Mogadishu; killing 587 people, it is the third deadliest terrorist attack ever recorded. It prompted an outpouring of support from around the world, from Paris to Washington.

Not a week into November, America was again asking questions as to how a gunman could open fire upon innocents, this time churchgoers in Sutherland Springs, Texas. Twenty-six people were killed, making it the deadliest mass shooting in an American place of worship. Later that month, Zimbabwe saw sweeping changes to its political scene when longtime President Robert Mugabe resigned, ending 37 years of ruling the African country with an iron fist.

In a highly political move, the United States announced its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital in early December. This action has numerous political consequences because most other countries see Jerusalem as neutral territory, as both Palestine and Israel claim the city as their own land. Also in December, Democrat Doug Jones defeated Republican Roy Moore in a highly controversial and debated special election for the Alabama Congressional seat left vacant by Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

In early January, large swaths of the country saw record low temperatures. In the Deep South, many residents saw snow for the first time in years. Also that month, the Trump administration experienced the first of two government shutdowns within three weeks. The first shutdown was the longest, lasting two days.

February saw another grim American shooting record surpassed. The deadliest high school shooting took place in Parkland, Florida, where 17 students and teachers were killed. It prompted major protests among students nationwide, and bolstered talks of gun reform in Congress. The Winter Olympics occurred in South Korea, and saw the two Koreas unite to compete as one team, the first time the nation’s have competed together in an Olympic Games.

Throughout March, Austin, Texas was terrorized by a series of bombings. Ultimately killing two and injuring five others, the bombings ceased when the suspect blew himself up in his car. A Russian-British double agent and his daughter were poisoned in Salisbury, United Kingdom in early March. This led to a mass expelling of Russian diplomats from the country.

In April, President Trump signed an executive order allowing the National Guard to be stationed at the southern border with Mexico. Later that month, Indian lawmakers decided to instate the death penalty for men convicted of raping children under the age of 12. The move follows numerous high profile rape incidents in the country in recent history.

Kīlauea, the most active Hawaiian volcano, resumed erupting on the first of May. It has destroyed over 24 homes in Leilani Estates, a local settlement on the island. Meanwhile, about 110 people were killed in dust storms in North India. High winds and the time of day the storms struck contributed to the high death toll.

Colin Fullinfaw - Copy Editor

Colin became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year and is involved in Cross Country. In his free time he enjoys spending time with his dog, Harley. You can email him at colinfullin[email protected]