Baseball Finishes Runner-Up in Conference Tourney

Varsity baseball takes second in RCC Tournament

SkyHawks shake hands after conference tournament victory

Photo by Donn Kasner

Photo by Donn Kasner

Photo by Donn Kasner

Jack McGonigal, Staff Reporter

The River Cities Conference Baseball tournament was held in Ralston this past weekend. The Skutt Catholic SkyHawks were the top seeded team heading into the tournament. The SkyHawks would face the winner of Mount Michael Benedictine and Ralston at two o’clock Friday afternoon. The Knights of Mount Michael would come out on top.

The number one seed SkyHawks and fourth seeded Mount Michael Benedictine were set to square off in the first of two semifinal matchups on the afternoon.

The first inning was action packed as the Knights opened things up with a solo home run that smacks off the scoreboard. The SkyHawks respond well by sending eight to the plate and putting up 4 runs. Senior pitcher Bryce Wesley was given excellent run support throughout the entire game, and all nine SkyHawks contributed in this offensive clinic put on by top seeded Skutt Catholic. Junior First Baseman Austin Oswald had 3 runs driven in in the first three innings as his team went up 7-1.

The fifth inning rolled around and Mount Michael had cut the lead in half to make it a 7-4 ballgame, but that’s when the SkyHawks put the dagger in the heart. Skutt Catholic would bat around and put Skutt Catholic in the conference championship game that evening. Seniors Jack Johnson, Colten Sudbeck, and Eli Barton would all produce RBIs in the fifth, and the game would end on an Austin Oswald two run home to give Skutt Catholic the win 15-4. “The key to the win was making the routine plays when we needed to, and creating big stretches to really open the game up.” Junior Outfielder Grant Bertucci said.

Roncalli Catholic would go onto beat Beatrice on the other side of the bracket, and face Skutt Catholic again after beating the SkyHawks a few weeks back.

It was the River Cities Conference Championship Game, the weather was warm, the bleachers were filled, and it was a wonderful night for baseball.

In the bottom of the first, Skutt Catholic took advantage of a few Crimson Pride mistakes and put themselves up early after an inning. A long inning for the Pride on the offensive side as they plate three runs to take a 3-1 lead.

Later in the game, Roncalli did a solid job defensively to maintain the SkyHawks, and grinder their way to another run to extend the lead to 4-1.

In the fifth the SkyHawks would make a pitching change as Junior right-handed pitcher Reilly Kirkpatrick would step on the mound. Kirkpatrick settled the Roncalli Catholic bats down, and the Skyhawks wouldn’t have the firepower to come back in their second game of the day.

Roncalli would win 4-2. “We just need to stay focused, and move on. We have seen them twice now, from here on out we just have to be in the right mentality to just go out there and win games.” Bertucci continued.

Skutt Catholic will host their district beginning Friday night for a chance to finish the way they did a year ago.

Jack McGonigal

Jack joined the Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in Guardians, Skyhawks For Life and announces various sporting events at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school, he enjoys watching baseball, running and spending time with friends. You can email him at [email protected]