Skutt Catholic Boys Soccer Wins RCC

The SkyHawks defeat South Sioux City in overtime

Skutt Catholic Boys Soccer Wins RCC

Skutt Catholic earns their RCC metals

Skutt Catholic earns their RCC metals

Photo by Skutt Boys Soccer Twitter

Skutt Catholic earns their RCC metals

Photo by Skutt Boys Soccer Twitter

Photo by Skutt Boys Soccer Twitter

Skutt Catholic earns their RCC metals

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

Skutt Catholic faced South Sioux City with a RCC title on the line after defeating Mount Michael in the semi finals 3-0 on April 24th. The SkyHawks entered this game winning eight of their last nine and looked to keep their momentum going. South Sioux was hit going into the RCC final, winning six of their last seven. To defeat the surging Cardinals, Skutt Catholic needed strong goaltending and timely goals.

Both defenses played extremely well in the first half. Neither team gave up a goal and didn’t give any of the players any room to pass the ball around. Another component to a scoreless first half was the goaltenders on both teams. In the limited shots the SkyHawks and Cardinals had, they couldn’t get the ball past the lightning quick hands of the goalies. After the first half was completed, the game was scoreless and was clear that one goal might be enough for a victory.

The second half played out much like the first half, with neither team managing to score and get past the suffocating defenses. To decide RCC, the game had to go to overtime. However, Skutt Catholic finally broke through in overtime. Senior Brady Foral scored the game winning goal and gave the SkyHawks a RCC championship. Another instrumental player for Skutt Catholic was senior goaltender Patrick Diederich. He was one of the main reasons that the SkyHawks survived regulation and how they were able to regroup in overtime. His game was fantastic, as he saved six goals and didn’t allow any goals. He also picked up a win and couldn’t have played a better game for Skutt Catholic.

“I was happy with the game that I performed today because it helped keep my team in a game where we were struggling to score the goal”, senior Patrick Diederich said. “The most important thing is that we were able to win RCC and continue to win important games”, Diederich continued.

The RCC championship game was an excellent showing for the SkyHawks, as they shut down South Sioux City with gritty defense and clutch offense. It also highlighted the talent that is this team, as seniors like Foral and Diederich will try to lead this team to something bigger than RCC. They want to eventually go to state this year, and win it with this season. The SkyHawks next game is against Gross Catholic and will look to build upon the success at RCC.

“Our defense was one of the main reasons we won RCC, as well as our ability to score goals when we needed them”, said head coach Justin Zabawa.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]