“Avengers: Infinity War” Is Entirely Average

Spoiler-free review: Crossover amounts to an entertaining but overall mediocre experience

Avengers%3A+Infinity+War%2C+directed+by+Joe+and+Anthony+Russo%2C+was+released+on+April+27th.+It+garnered+%24282.4+million+domestically+and+over+%24800+million+worldwide%2C+breaking+multiple+box+office+records.+

Avengers: Infinity War, directed by Joe and Anthony Russo, was released on April 27th. It garnered $282.4 million domestically and over $800 million worldwide, breaking multiple box office records.

Photo by Marvel Studios

Photo by Marvel Studios

Photo by Marvel Studios

Natalie Pearson, Staff Reporter

With over 30 superheroes involved, there’s plenty of potential for things to go awry in Avengers: Infinity War. Being a decade in the making and Marvel’s biggest crossover to date—needless to say, I was hyped. I jumped at the first chance I got to see it in theaters.

Essentially, in Infinity War, the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy (along with many other superheroes) team up to defeat Thanos (Josh Brolin). He’s presented as the Big Bad of the whole franchise, the final enemy. A decade of movies, leading us to this point.

It was hyped up for months, and combined with fan theories and rumors of major characters dying and this possibly being one of the last Marvel movies ever—well. Everyone knew what was at stake here.

It certainly didn’t disappoint, but it didn’t quite live up to the hype, either. The pacing, especially, was awkward and disjointed. In their attempt to introduce as many superheroes as possible, the movie lost its sense of direction. I was confused as to why characters appeared in places they had no reason to be and plot points appeared out of nowhere.

The constant jump cuts were disorienting more than anything else. They tried to juggle as many characters as possible and still give them equal amounts of screen time. In the end they failed miserably. Captain America, who was in many of the trailers and teasers, only got what seemed like two minutes of screen time in the actual film.

Infinity War felt as if it were a two hour long action sequence, interspersed with quippy dialogue and random emotional moments. There was almost no proper character development in favor of cool CGI battles.

That’s not to say that it was all bad. Infinity War certainly had its share of awesome moments, as is the case with most Marvel movies. A few one liners genuinely made me laugh out loud. And even if they didn’t have very much character development, there was a lot of tension and emotion throughout that kept the audience at the edge of their seats.

Overall, though, it was still mediocre compared to Marvel’s previous track record—especially considering how hyped up it was in the months preceding its release.

Then it ended and somehow, in the last 20 minutes, it made the leap from an average movie to a great one. Since this is a spoiler-free review, I’ll exclude the details, but the ending hit me hard. It was unexpected and heart-wrenching. Worst of all, it ended on a cliffhanger that left me craving more. That still doesn’t excuse all of its faults, though.

When I left the theater, I was not left disappointed, but left with the feeling that Marvel could have done so much more. Infinity War was entertaining, but ultimately not one of Marvel’s best. On a scale of masterpiece to unwatchable, “Avengers: Infinity War” is just above average.

Natalie Pearson

Natalie became a member of the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in band. Outside of school, she enjoys watching movies and playing video games. You can email her at [email protected]