“Bible of Love” Meshes Genres

Snoop Dogg’s newest album combines rap and religion

A cut from the album cover.

Photo by Sony Music

A cut from the album cover.

Nathan Fletcher, Staff Reporter

When I first heard that rapper Snoop Dogg had released, of all things, a gospel album- I was shocked. When I first heard the rapper Snoop Dogg’s gospel album- I was even more shocked. Every single song in the album is great, whether it be a traditional gospel hymn or a contemporary hip-hop song.

This isn’t the first time Snoop has diverged from the rap game. In 2012 he released “Reincarnated”- a reggae album- under the name “Snoop Lion.” Six years later, he repeated the split; this time with gospel music (and twice as much of it).

“Bible of Love” is over two hours long. This doesn’t exactly make it the best album to sit and listen all the way through to. However, this seems to work out in its favor, because the album is not the most congealed piece.

Nearly every song on the album has a feature. This has worked out well for Snoop in the past, but when there are so many artists with so many different takes on what style of music Snoop is going for it doesn’t mesh together very well. One song is be a rap song that sounds like it could be on the radio, and the next song is an entire choir singing not-so-contemporary gospel laid over a gentle hip-hop beat.

The hip-hop sections of the album are very laid back. There weren’t a lot of strong beats or drum fills; it was generally just Snoop rapping over a couple of gospel chords being repeated. The gospel sections of the album were the exact opposite. They consisted of a powerful vocal section over a small hip-hop beat.

The biggest problem with this album, besides the lack of coherence between songs, is that I’m just not sure who the intended audience is. I personally am a fan of both rap and gospel, making me one out of everyone I know. If you like rap or gospel, it is still a good album, but you might want to only pick out your favorite songs because as a whole it’s frankly not meant to appeal to you. It only works as a niche piece.

Overall, I suggest getting this album. Even if you don’t like the style of every song, there are enough of each style to be worth the while. And if you prefer rap over gospel (or vice-versa) try listening to the other for a bit. You might learn to appreciate different types of music more- and I’m sure you’ll appreciate the message.

Nathan Fletcher - Staff Reporter

Nathan became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a junior this year involved in cross country, track, and drama, and can be found watching movies outside of school. You can email him at [email protected]