SlamHawks Celebrate Final Second Place Finish

Louder Than a Bomb poetry team places second at semi-finals.

Clara Pohlman, Social Media Editor

April 18- Last night, April 17, the SlamHawks took on their final bout of the season. After two preliminary competitions, otherwise known in the poetry world as “bouts,” Skutt Catholic’s slam poetry team made it to semi-finals, competing with three other schools in the area. Amid their competition was Waverly, Northwest, and Blackburn High Schools.

The slam took place on the Joslyn Art Museum stage. Keeping with the spirit of poetry and acceptance of varying art forms, the competition had it’s very own DJ playing songs in between poets and getting the audience riled up.

As with any bout, the judges are selected at random from the audience of spectators. “The scoring started off very low last night,” senior Mikey Figura said. “As the rounds continued they began to hike up the scores a little more, which made the overall scoring kind of out of whack,” Figura said.

Although the team did fall short of the first place title that would have led them to the Holland Performing Arts stage for the final bout, the SlamHawks had an impressive season with greater talent on the team then they had preciously seen. Competitors like seniors Maria Miller, Lily Yates, and Hope Stratman, to name a few, compiled this year’s team of experienced poets. The winning title went to Omaha Northwest High School with Skutt Catholic taking the runner-up position.

In the great spirit of poetry, the night was filled with poems of acceptance, tolerance, and the pure beauty of humankind. The SlamHawks were proud to finish out their season on the Joslyn stage taking home a second place title, but more importantly, new ideas to ponder.

Clara Pohlman

Clara joined the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in speech, show choir, and theatre. Outside of school she loves working as a princess for children's birthday parties. You can email her at [email protected]