• Become a part of the publications that the SkyHawk community relies on. See Mrs. Drummond about getting involved in Journalism.

25 Questions: Singing, Sarcasm, and Scarves with Chris King

Ultra-involved senior’s effervescent personality shines through

Among many activities, participating in Vivace show choir is one of King’s favorite.

Photo by Lily Yates

Lily Yates, Quintessence Editor-in-Chief

If you’ve ever met Chris King, you’re not likely to forget him any time soon. Otherwise, you might have seen his curly hair, glasses, and often stony-looking demeanor in the halls, never realizing the warm and vibrant personality hiding just behind them.

As a senior and central figure of many Skutt Catholic activities, he is certainly hard to miss. His quick wit, determination, and obvious passion make him a classmate you always want on your side in debates. Outside of class, King harbors an appetite for performance, participating in instrumental and vocal music, slam poetry, and theatre, among other extracurriculars.

With whatever time is left, the Iowa native can regularly be found knitting, sharing Harry Potter memes, memorizing musical lyrics, and baking in bulk, getting through each day with the aid of his most beloved: coffee.

Friends say King’s trust is hard-earned, but his quiet wisdom and constant wish to improve what is put in front of him set him well apart. This week, the Flightline sat down with 25 rapid-fire questions to showcase some lesser-known corners of Chris King.

Do you have a nickname?

Not here, unless you count people saying “Chris King” instead of “Chris” or “Christopher,” but I don’t count that. In middle school my nickname given to me by my oh-so-humorous (or so he thought) math teacher was Burger because my last name is King and he liked to eat fast food.

If you were stranded on a desert island, what 2 items would you take with you?

If I was stranded on a desert island the items that I would bring would be a working raft with oars and a map of sorts that would show me the quickest way to civilization from where I was at (assuming that I wouldn’t have access to Google Maps).

How would your best friend describe you?

How would my best friend describe me? I don’t really know it depends on the day. I would hope it would be positive attributes like dedicated, hardworking, dependable, loyal, etc., but I wouldn’t be surprised if adjectives like sarcastic, stressed, or opinionated were given as well.

If you were an animated character, who would you be and why?

If I was an animated character, the only reason I can answer this is because I’ve been told it, I would be Squidward due to the fact that I am easily annoyed at a lot of things/people.

What is your most marked characteristic?

I guess my most marked characteristic would sort of be my “mellow/homey” personality. I’ve been told that I have a really sort of calm and mellow “air/feeling” about me that helps people relax and calm down.

Where are you in the family birth order?

In my family birth, I’m my mothers second/middle child, but I’m my fathers first child, and we’re all 10 years apart (give or take a couple of months). My mom had remarried after having my older brother.

Photo by Lily Yates
King often carries his knitting needles and yarn with him in case of emergency.

What is your most prized possession?

I don’t really have one, the “possessions” I have fall into two categories: “Willing to be shared with some select people” or “No one gets to touch it (without extreme hesitation and caution, but you have to have a lot of my trust to get that far).” I’m really protective of my musical instruments, music, and such, but it’s nothing is a ”prized possession.”

What is your favorite place to eat?

That depends on what I’m having, but a couple of places you can’t go wrong with Panda Express, Hu Hot (Mongolian Grill), or Cheesecake Factory. Of those Cheesecake Factory is considered “the best” because they have my favorite type of Chinese food (Orange/Sesame Chicken), burgers, salads, pizza, ice cream, and oh my gosh, their desserts are so delicious.

What song are you listening to right now?

I’m not listening to one particluar song right now, just a weird conglomeration/medley of Broadway musical songs. Currently in this weird “songs-stuck-in-my-head” medley there are songs like “Blow Gabriel Blow” and “Buddy Beware” from Anything Goes; “Got You Beat” and “Morning Person” from Shrek the Musical; “If I Can’t Love Her” from Beauty and the Beast; “Proud of Your Boy” from Aladdin; “Part of Your World Reprise,” “Poor Unfortunate Souls,” and “I Want the Good Times Back” from The Little Mermaid; “Pulled” from The Addams Family; and “Prologue/Santa Fe,” “Santa Fe,” and “Watch What Happens” from Newsies. Trust me, you do not want to hear what is going on in my mind right now.

The infamous incident of 2007. Does it still haunt you?

It’s been a long, difficult journey, but I am starting to put it behind me. I don’t think I will ever forget it, even with the extensive counseling and psychotherapy sessions, but I’ve accepted it and am hoping to go on without such horrendous circumstances occuring again (this question is supposed to be a joke, right?)

Which word or phrase do you overuse?

The phrases that I use a lot are “what the heck are you doing?,” “I dunno,” and “oh (bleep),” to put it politely.

If you were a tree, what kind would you be?

I don’t know, maybe a large willow tree, kind of odd, not sticking to norms.

On what occasion do you lie?

I generally only lie if it will help me get out of annoying, bad or “sticky” situations. In all actuality I don’t strive to never lie, but I don’t strive to be completely honest all the time because it can help me or provide some entertainment (in certain situations).

How many hours of sleep do you get per night?

It’s not consistent. I’ve had anywhere from, and not joking about this either, 20 minutes to 18 hours.

What is your motto?

The closest thing to a motto I have is “forgive but never forget.”

What would be a situation of perfect happiness?

A situation of perfect happiness would be having no responsibilities (at least for a bit) and getting to be with your favorite person for a while.

How many activities are you in?

How many activities am I in? It feels like too many and not enough. The number’s not that big; but they are really time consuming since they all have a performance aspect to them. I’m involved in 5 activities.

Dogs or cats?

Dogs. Is that even a question!?! Puppers and doggos are literally the best.

What is your dream occupation?

Dream occupation would be to be a vocal music instructor while composing musicals.

If you could visit or live in any country where would it be?

The country that I would want to live in would be Transylvania just for all of the mountains and forests they have.

How important are grades to you in the scheme of things?

Grades right now are one of my biggest worries because since I didn’t put effort into my grades as a freshman or sophomore I have to work extra hard for a better scholarship and to keep it. But other than for scholarship money and a lower college debt, they won’t matter much.

What is your favorite out of all the activities you do?

Favorite activity would be choir because I have met and grown close to so many amazing people and I just enjoy singing a lot, kind of good since I want to be a vocal music instructor.

Who or what do you love most in the world?

The things I love most are my closest friends because they do so much for me, sometimes without them even knowing.

How often do you go out to eat?

I really don’t go out to eat too often, even though I have food with me almost all the time.

Is there anything else you want people to know about you or that you want to say?

I guess I would tell people to stop, breathe, and realize that odds are it won’t matter in a bit. Take a nap- most of you deserve it- and don’t be afraid to have a snack (or twelve).

Lily Yates - Quintessence Editor-in-Chief

Lily became a member of The Flightline in August of 2015. She is a senior this year and enjoys an array of activities including choir, theatre and slam poetry. She is also on staff as a library aide at the Omaha Public Library. You can email her at [email protected]