Fast-Casual Pizzeria is Worth a Try

Spin! serves delicious dishes in modern atmosphere

Fast-Casual Pizzeria is Worth a Try

A Spin! cook prepares a pizza for the oven.

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Tom Hermanek, Managing Editor

As a senior who’s managed to ward off senioritis enough to hold on to his senior privileges, I’m often on the lookout for off-campus spots to spend my extended lunch hour.

My latest visit was to Spin! Pizza, a new eatery just west of Skutt Catholic, at 173rd and Center Street. Opened last fall, Spin! is a fast-casual concept that boats Neapolitan pizza, pasta and salads that started in Kansas City, MO and has expanded to California, Nebraska, Kansas and Texas.

Spin!, which can be viewed as a rival to Dante Pizza Napoletana, has similar entree offerings to its competitor. Its pizzas are thin and made from fresh, delicious sauces and topped with tomatoes, basil, chicken, prosciutto, red pepper and the like. Spin! also has some delightful pasta dishes on the menu, offering alfredo, marinara and pesto sauces atop fettuccine.

The best part of Spin!’s pizzas is the sauce. It is evident that their kitchen uses fresh tomatoes in making their red pizza sauce, and the chunks of the fruit add a juiciness to the pizza. While the pizza toppings are nothing to go crazy over, they serve their purpose in adding flavor to the pizzas.

Spin!’s pizza crust, however, while not bad, is nothing special. It’s thin, which is no problem, though it has a slight, disappointing crispness to it. It’s almost as if those in Spin!’s kitchen can’t decide whether their crust is supposed to be soft or crispy and flaky, so they settle for somewhere in between.

As for the side options, Spin! has a wide variety of salads ranging from House to Caesar to Greek, the most delightful of the mix. The Greek salad was topped with black olives, tomatoes, cucumbers and accentuated by a subtlety sweet, tangy dressing. The side of bread Spin! places at each table was well textured and functional.

Coming in at around $10 per person, Spin! is a bit more expensive than the typical place I might visit for lunch on a school today. However, its quality of food and close proximity to Skutt Catholic make it a good option for Skutt Catholic students.

Tom Hermanek - Managing Editor

Tom became a member of The Flightline in January of 2015. He is a senior who is involved in mock trial and swimming. Off campus, Tom spends his time with friends or working at Starbucks. You can email him at [email protected]