• Become a part of the publications that the SkyHawk community relies on. See Mrs. Drummond about getting involved in Journalism.

“Ready Player One” Disappoints

Straying too far from the book irks people who read it beforehand

Ready%2C+Player+one+poster+
Ready, Player one poster

Ready, Player one poster

Photo by readplayeronemovie.com

Photo by readplayeronemovie.com

Ready, Player one poster

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

Once I heard that Steven Spielberg would direct “Ready Player One,” I decided to read the book before the movie came out. It quickly became one of my favorite books I have read and I was excited for the movie. One thing that made me nervous before I saw the movie was that Spielberg would not stay faithful to the book. Sadly, I was right, as the movie was very different from the book and I was disappointed and irritated.

“Ready Player One” starts with the narrator, Wade Watts, talk about the year 2041. He describes an invention called the Oasis, where you can create an avatar and choose your appearance. It was created in 2025 by James Holiday and Ogden Morrow. Once Holiday died, Holiday created a hunt, where whoever found the three keys would gain control of the Oasis and some of Holiday’s multi-billion dollar fortune. I liked the introduction because it explained the plot of the movie well and made it easy to understand for those who did not read the book.

One of my least favorite parts of “Ready Player One” was how Parzival (Wade’s avatar) received the Cooper Key. In the book, it is a lot harder for Wade to find the key. First he had to go through the Cooper Gate, where Wade had to complete a Wargames flicksyncs, where he was dropped into a movie and had to do and say as the protagonist in it. Wade then defeated Acererak the Demilich (Dungeons and Dragons) in a best of three round of the 1982 arcade classic Joust.

Instead, the movie took away the 80s theme movie and game, which was one of the best parts of the book. It oversimplified the quest to find the key and disappointed me. I enjoyed Wade acting as the protagonist in Wargames in the book and it was a shame Spielberg didn’t write that in the script. To me, these kind of challenges made the story so intriguing and diminished how hard the Hunt was for Wade. The movie did the same thing with the jade key, where they created a different challenge from the book for Wade to earn it.

The story also felt very rushed, as once Wade found the first key 5 years after the Hunt was created, he and his friends found the rest of the keys quickly. This didn’t make sense because if the Jade Key took this long for people to find, then Wade and his friends wouldn’t have discovered the rest of the keys in a matter of days. I didn’t like the uneven pace of this and found it difficult to keep up with the movie at times.

One of the my favorite parts of the film was the finale. To find the final key, Wade and his friends had to break through the dome that Nolan Sorrento created so no one would find all three keys. Wade then called everyone to fight for the OASIS and what followed was an entertaining battle to get through the dome. It was a satisfying finale and fun watching the different kinds of avatars fight for the OASIS and was action-packed.

“Ready Player One” is a good movie, but disappoints those who have read the book. The film could have been amazing if Spielberg would have not strayed too far from the book.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]