The Benefits of Cursive Handwriting

The beauty of tradition and why it should not be fading in schools

The Benefits of Cursive Handwriting

Clara Pohlman, Social Media Editor

The tradition of cursive handwriting is one that has begun to stop being shared. Usually taught in third grade curriculum, cursive handwriting is a skill that is quickly fading in schools across the country.

The importance, and even benefits, of cursive writing have since proven to be widely successful in students that have honed the skill more than their print writing counterparts. The College Board conducted research that found students who have used cursive on the ACT writing portion of the exam were scored higher than those who did not.

Despite its importance, it may not be entirely up to the student on whether or not the way in which they choose to write is in the cursive manuscript. Schools have slowly begun to cut their writing curriculum.

“It is an art form that is too quickly fading,” Senior Cal Strawhecker (cursive handwriter) said, “and it’s important for kids to learn the importance of the pen and paper.”

While this change makes sense to the average plain handwriter, the tradition of cursive writing is one that has been going on for a long while. This is why it may seem that almost every elderly person has the beautiful handwriting that cursive produces.

“It’s been so ingrained, but yet it’s so elegant; I feel as though I’m Thomas Jefferson when I write,” said Strawhecker.

Even though handwriting is not something that seems crucial to the everyday writer, cursive is an art form that is soon being forgotten. And even if the form itself stops being taught, tradition is necessary in making certain that the further writers, and all students, of tomorrow are guaranteed a unique and fulfilling education.

Clara Pohlman

Clara joined the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in speech, show choir, and theatre. Outside of school she loves working as a princess for children's birthday parties. You can email her at [email protected]