Skutt Catholic Qualifies for State Journalism

Four students declared finalists in NSAA prelims

%28Left+to+right%29+Maria+Koliopoulos%2C+Lily+Yates%2C+Maria+Miller+and+Nathan+Fletcher+posed+for+the+camera+after+the+state+qualifiers+were+announced.+
(Left to right) Maria Koliopoulos, Lily Yates, Maria Miller and Nathan Fletcher posed for the camera after the state qualifiers were announced.

Photo by Sandra Drummond

Photo by Sandra Drummond

Natalie Pearson, Staff Reporter

Apr. 3, 2018 — Skutt Catholic newspaper students Maria Miller, Lily Yates, Maria Koliopoulos, and Nathan Fletcher have been announced as finalists in the NSAA State Journalism contest. The NSAA’s yearly state contest covers all aspects of journalism, with opportunities to qualify in multiple categories.

These are only the preliminaries, so there will be more rounds of judging occurring in the weeks leading up to the championship on April 23rd. The championship will be at the Northeast Community College in Norfolk, where students will take part in on-site write off competitions to compete for individual state titles. More information is available on the NSAA’s official website, located here.

“I think the fact that we are not only Pacemaker finalists, but have qualified multiple people in state for strong writing, graphic design and illustration really speaks to the unique breadth of our staff on The Flightline,” said senior and Flightline Editor-in-Chief Maria Miller. “Though we are small in numbers—which makes winning state as a whole very difficult—we have proved that we can produce high quality content; that is what we can strive for.”

With a history of excelling at the state competition, the Flightline hopes to continue its success this year. In 2016, the staff as a whole won the Class B State title. However, in 2017 the staff was moved into the Class A category, pitting Skutt Catholic against schools whose freshman through junior enrollment numbers up to 1,945 students as opposed to Skutt Catholic’s 590 students as of last year.

Though fewer Skutt Catholic students have qualified in the years since the switch, the staff has continued to represent excellence in journalism at state on behalf of the school, bringing home individual state champion medals each year. “I’m really excited to be able to have the opportunity to compete at state again,” said senior and Quintessence Editor-in-Chief Lily Yates, “Especially because we’re Class A in journalism, which means the competition is a lot tougher,” she continued.

“I could not be more honored to have been one of the qualifiers, but as the Editor-in-Chief, I am also proud of the staff as a whole,” Miller said. “We really have done incredible things this year, and I can’t wait to see how the SCHS Flightline progresses after I leave.”

Natalie Pearson - Staff Reporter

Natalie became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a sophomore this year involved in band at Skutt Catholic and enjoys playing video games outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]