New Faith Opportunity at Skutt Catholic

Skutt Catholic alumnus brings Discipleship to the students

New Faith Opportunity at Skutt Catholic

C lunch gathers to listen to Maddie Koperski at the First Discipleship meeting.

Photo by Zoe Clark

Photo by Zoe Clark

Photo by Zoe Clark

Zoe Clark, Copy Editor

April 3, 2018 — Skutt Catholic students gathered into the campus ministry room, lunches in tow, to see what could possibly be going on. This wasn’t Theology Thursday, it was a new lunch group known as Discipleship.

This new faith group is led by Skutt Catholic alumnus, Maddie Koperski (Class of 2016). The idea was hatched between her and Skutt Catholic Campus Minister Christine French about a month and a half ago.

“When I was interacting with her I could really tell something was different than previous times she had been here,” said French. “She told me about being in Discipleship,” French said.

Koperski, a sophomore at UNO, lives in the St. John Paul II Newman Center and cites their discipleship groups as her inspiration to start something and knew of no place better than Skutt Catholic to spread the Good News.

“I wanted to have a place where I knew the people would be really, deeply involved,” said Koperski. “Because I went to Skutt, I knew that the community was good, that the people were good,” Koperski said.

Maddie defines Discipleship as a very close, deep friendship with another person, rooted in God.

“It is the best kind of relationship you can have, the exact opposite of a toxic relationship. It is authentic and virtuous,” Koperski said.

The goal is to bring more faith opportunities to the school and to deepen the prayer lives of students.

“It reinforces topics from the Missionary Discipleship class I took last semester,” said senior Amelia McConnell. “For me, it is a reminder of all I learned and how I can apply it to my life,” McConnell said.

The group will meet on Wednesday’s during lunch in Campus Ministry to join in fellowship and will eventually create support networks for each other, rooted in the concept of discipleship.

Zoe Clark

Zoe became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year involved in robotics, academic decathlon, and many other electives, and spends what little free time she has reading. You can email her at [email protected]