• Become a part of the publications that the SkyHawk community relies on. See Mrs. Drummond about getting involved in Journalism.

Miss Dongilli: Fashion Icon and Spanish Teacher Extraordinaire

Skutt Catholic Spanish teacher gives insight into her style and personal life

Miss Dongilli at her desk in her classroom.

Photo by Gracie Killgore

Photo by Gracie Killgore

Gracie Killgore, Staff Reporter

Along with teaching Spanish II, Honors Spanish II, and Spanish III, Miss Dongilli is a teacher with style. Many students and teachers at Skutt Catholic are aware of her fashionable ensembles; however, few know about her teaching job in Peru and what she enjoys doing in her free time.

When did you discover you wanted to be a teacher?
“Not right away. I always loved Spanish and was double-majoring in it, but I did not originally plan to be a teacher. When I went to get my master’s degree, I got a scholarship that paid for my schooling if I taught some of the Spanish classes at the university. So I started to do that as a part of my scholarship, and I loved it. I realized this was what I really wanted to do instead of going into business or working for a corporation or something like that. I was really looking into nonprofit work, and that’s how I discovered my love of teaching. After my masters I just kept going for it.”

When did your interest in Spanish begin to grow and why?
“I always loved it, but I didn’t have a very good Spanish program in grade school, like some of you. We had some Spanish in junior high, although it wasn’t that great. In high school I loved the class, but I also had a friend who was a study abroad student from Venezuela. We became good friends, and she really sparked my interest in learning the language. I really liked hearing her stories not only about Venezuelan culture but South American culture.”

You used to teach and live in Peru. Can you describe what that experience was like and how long you were there?
“I studied abroad there for a summer program in college for a couple of months. When I went back to live in Peru, it was after my masters, and I was there a school year. I was planning to be there a full calendar year, but I came back to visit my grandma, who was sick. So it was about nine or ten months for the duration of the school year, and it was awesome. There were lots of adventures, and I loved my students. It was different and took a bit of adjusting because I lived in a rural town, so transportation and access to internet were very different. However, I loved the food and the culture, the music, and the dancing. It was very fun and hard to come back after that.”

One of my favorite things about coming into your class is seeing our outfit because you have a great sense of style. Have you always had a love for fashion?
“I mean, I’ve always liked it, although I don’t know if my outfit choices in high school were ones I would want everyone to see still. I would like some of those photos to be buried. But I, at least, thought I looked good, and that’s the important part.”

Do you usually buy your clothes online or in store? What are your favorite places to shop?
“Both. I shop at the outlets, I like Von Maur and boutiques in Omaha. I also shop online too; Asos is one of my favorite online stores, and I also love H&M.”

What are your favorite things to do in your free time?
I love to read, listen to music, and spend time with my family and friends. I like going to museums a lot, whether that be art museums or even science museums, or socio-cultural museums. I’ve been taking classes still, and I’ve kind of always been a student because I love being a student. I’m still in class while I teach you all so I can keep myself sharp. Because of this, I have reading and papers I still write.”

Gracie Killgore - Staff Reporter

Gracie became a member of The Flightline in January of 2018. She is a sophomore this year involved in tennis, HOSA, and FBLA at Skutt Catholic and can be found watching Netflix or playing with her dog, Wally, outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]