Young Americans March for Gun Control

Nationwide protests for stricter gun laws reach Omaha

Young Americans March for Gun Control

Students participating in March For Our Lives cross the Bob Kerry Pedestrian bridge Saturday.

Photo by Blaine Wikoff

Photo by Blaine Wikoff

Photo by Blaine Wikoff

Blaine Wikoff, Staff Reporter

On Saturday, March 26, Americans across the United States marched to demand stricter legislation regarding gun access. The specific goals of the March For Our Lives were to pass a law to ban assault weapons, stop the sale of high-capacity magazines, and implement laws that require background checks on all gun purchases, including online and at gun shows. This nationwide march was organized by high school students and others who have been affected by gun violence.

For marchers in the Omaha metro, the event started in Omaha and spanned into Council Bluffs via the Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge downtown. The route symbolized crossing over bridges and unity according to the organizers. Once everyone crossed the bridge, there were student speeches and chants but the event remained peaceful throughout with no arrests or counter-protests reported.

Many Skutt Catholic students and faculty were in attendance. Senior Ethan Hough said, “What I found most cool about it was that it was totally student driven. It wasn’t a bunch of political tycoons or lobbyists or anything like that- it was kids who are tired of the lack of change and want something to change before more people are harmed.”

Students that survived the recent mass shooting in Parkland, FL on Feb. 14 have been very vocal about finding a solution to ending these mass killings, which they seek through gun control measures. Within days of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, the students were speaking out and making it clear that “thoughts and prayers” were not going to be enough.

The Parkland students announced the March For Our Lives on March 24. The shooting had occurred only a little under a month earlier. They raised $1.7 million in three days and another $2 million from celebrities to help fund the main March in Washington D.C., which saw at least 800,000 participants alone according to recent estimates.

The Parkland students and many others have done much to spread awareness for the cause of gun control, and many of them say this is just the beginning of a fight for their lives.

Blaine Wikoff

Blaine joined The Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in show choir, theatre, cross country, rock climbing club and band. Outside of school he plays bass, watches movies, plays video games and listens to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. You can email him at [email protected]