Mrs. Twist: Juggling Life and Students

Spanish IV and V teacher Mrs. Twist shares inspirations, incentives

Mrs. Twist: Juggling Life and Students

Mrs. Rachel Twist always has a smile on her face.

Photo by Colin Fullinfaw

Photo by Colin Fullinfaw

Photo by Colin Fullinfaw

Colin Fullinfaw, Copy Editor

Spanish IV and V teacher Mrs. Rachel Twist is a familiar face around Skutt Catholic. A graduate of the school, it seems as if she has been here all her life. Although many people know about her accomplishments with regards to athletics, few know about her life outside the school.

1. When did you know you wanted to become a teacher?

“I’ve pretty much always known that I was going to be a teacher. I don’t even remember thinking about doing anything else.”

2. What made you want to teach at Skutt Catholic? Why teach Spanish in particular?

“I knew that I wanted to live in Omaha after graduating college, so this seemed like an obvious next step when I saw the Spanish job opening. I decided to major in Spanish because it was the subject I had the most fun with.”

“I wanted to come back and teach at Skutt Catholic because this is “home” to me.”

— Mrs. Twist

3. During your time here, what was your favorite subject? Did that subject have an influence on wanting to become a teacher?

“My favorite subject was Spanish. I wasn’t awesome at math or science, but I was always interested in them because my teachers made them fun and interesting; I just really liked to learn.”

4. Some people might know that you travel to Guatemala and visit our sister school there. How often do you visit and how did you first get started with that service work?

“I have visited our sister school twice now to work in the schools and get to know the community. Mrs. Lenz initially got me involved in the work, and I was quickly hooked! When we visit the students, we bring shirts of our school for them to wear. It’s been fun to go down there and see the kids wearing Skutt gear!”

5. What are your favorite hobbies, pastimes, things to do, etc.?

“I’ve always loved sports and games, but these days, my favorite things to do all revolve around my family. We spend a lot of time together since we all live so close to one another.”

From Spanish to service trips and everything in between, Twist is an exceptional teacher. Both students and the greater Skutt Catholic community benefit from her knowledge, and her determination to have students succeed has not gone unnoticed.

Colin Fullinfaw - Copy Editor

Colin became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year and is involved in Cross Country. In his free time he enjoys spending time with his dog, Harley. You can email him at [email protected]