Why Hard Work Exceeds Talent

How my experience with hard work led me to success

Why Hard Work Exceeds Talent

Me playing at a tennis match this summer.

Photo by Patty Killgore

Photo by Patty Killgore

Photo by Patty Killgore

Gracie Killgore, Staff Reporter

Natural born talent can be the first step in becoming successful in any activity. However, hard work is what will allow a person to go above and beyond expectations.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not the most athletic person. P.E. was never my favorite class, and I was never the first to finish the mile in middle school. I may not possess natural born athleticism, but I am capable of working hard.

The summer before fourth grade, I began playing tennis. It was the only sport I truly enjoyed playing; usually I just participated in sports to meet new people or to exercise.

I played tennis every summer after fourth grade, and I began playing competitively in interclub and tournaments the summer before freshman year.

Freshman year of high school, I tried out for the tennis team at Skutt Catholic and made the JV team. I was thrilled, especially considering the large amount of girls who tried out and that the coaches also decided to make a reserve team.

Once the season began, I was placed in the lower half of the JV team and wasn’t getting to play in matches as much as I wanted. This encouraged me to work harder and continue to improve my game. Eventually my doubles partner and I won first place in a JV tournament in the number three doubles category.

After that tournament, I began to play in more matches and by the end of the season I was in the upper half of the JV team. Because four seniors were graduating, there would be at least four open spots on the varsity team for the next year. I knew my chances could be slim, but I was willing to work to achieve my goal of making the varsity team.

The summer before sophomore year, I played multiple hours of tennis each week. Often I would go to one clinic in the morning, then come home for an hour or so and head off to another clinic in the afternoon.

I continued to work hard and play continuously throughout the fall and winter, and when it came time for tryouts, I knew I had done everything I could to prepare myself. I didn’t know what the outcome would be, but I knew I had improved much from a year ago.

I did end up making the varsity team, and I could not have done it without the hard work I put into making myself a better tennis player. I wasn’t born with a talent alone for tennis, but my work ethic led me to success.

My hard work is still in progress, as my final goal is to become the best tennis player I can be and to help my team succeed.

There’s no denying that talent can lead one to great accomplishments, but I believe that hard work is the deciding factor for success.

Gracie Killgore

Gracie joined The Flightline in January of 2018. She is a junior this year, involved in tennis, HOSA and FBLA . Outside of school, she enjoys online shopping, hanging out with friends and watching Netflix. You can email her at [email protected]