Why Hard Work Exceeds Talent

How my experience with hard work led me to success

Photo by Patty Killgore

Me playing at a tennis match this summer.

Gracie Killgore, Staff Reporter

Natural born talent can be the first step in becoming successful in any activity. However, hard work is what will allow a person to go above and beyond expectations.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not the most athletic person. P.E. was never my favorite class, and I was never the first to finish the mile in middle school. I may not possess natural born athleticism, but I am capable of working hard.

The summer before fourth grade, I began playing tennis. It was the only sport I truly enjoyed playing; usually I just participated in sports to meet new people or to exercise.

I played tennis every summer after fourth grade, and I began playing competitively in interclub and tournaments the summer before freshman year.

Freshman year of high school, I tried out for the tennis team at Skutt Catholic and made the JV team. I was thrilled, especially considering the large amount of girls who tried out and that the coaches also decided to make a reserve team.

Once the season began, I was placed in the lower half of the JV team and wasn’t getting to play in matches as much as I wanted. This encouraged me to work harder and continue to improve my game. Eventually my doubles partner and I won first place in a JV tournament in the number three doubles category.

After that tournament, I began to play in more matches and by the end of the season I was in the upper half of the JV team. Because four seniors were graduating, there would be at least four open spots on the varsity team for the next year. I knew my chances could be slim, but I was willing to work to achieve my goal of making the varsity team.

The summer before sophomore year, I played multiple hours of tennis each week. Often I would go to one clinic in the morning, then come home for an hour or so and head off to another clinic in the afternoon.

I continued to work hard and play continuously throughout the fall and winter, and when it came time for tryouts, I knew I had done everything I could to prepare myself. I didn’t know what the outcome would be, but I knew I had improved much from a year ago.

I did end up making the varsity team, and I could not have done it without the hard work I put into making myself a better tennis player. I wasn’t born with a talent alone for tennis, but my work ethic led me to success.

My hard work is still in progress, as my final goal is to become the best tennis player I can be and to help my team succeed.

There’s no denying that talent can lead one to great accomplishments, but I believe that hard work is the deciding factor for success.

Gracie Killgore

Gracie joined The Flightline in January of 2018. She is a junior this year, involved in tennis, HOSA and FBLA . Outside of school, she enjoys online shopping, hanging out with friends and watching Netflix. You can email her at [email protected]