“A Wrinkle in Time” Falls Short of Stellar

Movie adaption loses out in technique, embellishments

A poster for “A Wrinkle in Time.”

A poster for “A Wrinkle in Time.”

Photo by Disney

Photo by Disney

A poster for “A Wrinkle in Time.”

Nathan Fletcher, Staff Reporter

The hardest part of reviewing A Wrinkle in Time was convincing someone to see it with me. Simply no one appeared to have any desire to see the movie. The novel the movie is based on is supposedly one of the greatest children’s books of all time, and yet very few children actually seemed excited for Disney’s film release. Well let me tell ya, A Wrinkle in Time really lives up to the hype- or, more accurately, the lack thereof.

The plot of A Wrinkle in Time is honestly somewhat elementary. The mangling of physical principals called “tessering” makes it seem like the book is unique in some way but in reality it is a very exact following of the hero’s journey. This makes the book feel like any other archetypal story. To pile onto that, the moral of the story is “love beats bad feelings.” I get that the book was made for children, but take a few liberties with your storytelling please.

One thing the movie did really well was take specific scenes from the book and adapt them a little bit. There were parts that were just completely left out, such as the portion of the book where a loving monster named “Aunt Beast” cares for Meg while she is recovering from her encounter with IT (the brain-like antagonist of the movie). Many would argue that this takes away an important lesson about how it’s what’s on the inside that matters, and to that I say, “Good riddance.” I only need one cheesy moral at a time, thank you very much.

The effects in this movie were atrocious. I actually have a legitimate question for the hair and makeup team: why do Oprah’s eyebrows change jewel every time she tessers? Actually, why are Oprah’s eyebrows bejeweled at all? The entire movie screams the same thing as Oprah’s eyebrows: that the design team had a butdget they didn’t know what to do with.

There are shots in this movie where the color palette made me nauseous. Most of the non-earth planets were computer generated nightmares. At one point one of the witches turns into what appears to be a flying piece of lettuce. There were better special effects in the A Wrinkle in Time play I saw in 7th grade where Mrs. Witch was a man holding a strobe light. Coming from the same studio that brought us 2017’s Beauty and the Beast and is nearly synonymous with animation, this runs against much of what Disney has produced before.

The area the movie struggles with most blatantly is acting. You’d think that a movie with such big-name stars as Oprah and that’s it just Oprah, the acting might be just a little better. Oprah is a surprisingly good actress considering she isn’t actually an actress at all, and the other witches play their roles fairly well. However, the majority of the movie is not about the witches, it’s about the children: Meg, Calvin, and Charles Wallace.

I don’t want to bash on a bunch of kids for not being able to mirror the likes of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, but watching them was at times physically paining. There’s really no way around this problem without just making all the characters adults, which would subtract greatly from the story. Honestly though, in this case it might’ve been worth it.

What I really liked about this particular movie adaption is IT itself. The final scene sent chills down my spine, once I got over the awful acting. IT is not so much a character in this scene but a setting. Charles Wallace, possessed by IT, and Meg stand on a giant system of gnarled, bark-covered neurons. The usage of IT as more of a place than a physical being only made the climax of the film more meaningful, as well as reinforced the moral.

Overall, this movie is frankly not worth watching. A few die-hard fans of the book might get a kick out of it, but to the majority of people it’s not worth listening to Charles Wallace shouting all his lines just to see a few interesting scenes.

Nathan Fletcher

Nathan became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in cross country, track, and drama, and can be found watching movies outside of school. You can email him at [email protected]