Corinne Chen: Exchange Student and Vlogger Extraordinaire

Chinese student shares what it’s like to start a YouTube career

Corinne+Chen+edits+newest+vlog+

Corinne Chen edits newest vlog

Corinne Chen edits newest vlog

Photo by Emma Brisbois

Corinne Chen edits newest vlog

Photo by Emma Brisbois

Photo by Emma Brisbois

Corinne Chen edits newest vlog

Emma Brisbois, BirdFeed Editor

Vlogs, or video blogs, are a type of documentation that has become vastly popular in recent years. At the beginning of Skutt Catholic’s show choir season, foreign exchange student Corinne Chen decided to join the vlogosphere.

“I’ve always loved to watch YouTube channels and live vlogs, like makeup and skincare,” senior Corinne Chen said. “I follow a lot of YouTubers who do makeup and skincare things… I want to go into that kind of stuff in my future career, and I’ve always wanted a YouTube channel. Since show choir season was coming up and I’m a senior, I wanted to do something to be able to remember all of the things that I love. So why not start vlogging,” Chen said.

Since Vivace’s 2018 debut, Corinne Chen has published two vlogs, with a third on the way. She documented the day in the life of a show choir kid in both her Hastings and West Liberty vlog.

“Show choir has changed my life,” Chen said. “I didn’t even know what it was at first. I thought like, ‘oh, the choreography learning day is on Monday, so I’ll go’, and I ended up doing the audition. At the time, I didn’t know what I was doing. I just went and auditioned. And then, I got lucky, and Mr. Storm chose me ’cause I didn’t expect to get in. At that time, I didn’t even know it was a class, that we have rehearsal, and all that stuff. Then, Mr. Storm sent all those emails and I was like, ‘oh… that’s how it works’,” Chen said.

“But, the main reason why I came here is education,” Chen said. “I don’t really like the education system back in China. It’s so competitive because the population is just so much bigger. Most students are under a lot of pressure, and I don’t like that. Here, I can go for a jog and just enjoy my free time. I’m allowed to be involved,” Chen said.

“I went to Roncalli for a semester, but I came because I heard that Skutt is better at everything. Academics, sports, activities, and that’s why I came here… and I found out that it was true.” – Corinne Chen

Although show choir season is over, the vlogs are here to stay. “I hope to continue [vlogging],” Chen said. “That’s actually what I hope will be part of my future career. When I graduate, I want to start my own brand. I want to have my own business. I want to have a skin care, makeup, or even like a clothing brand, and at the same time I would like to have a job on YouTube. It’s something that I really want to continue to do,” Chen said.

While going to a university in the States, Corinne hopes to take her not-so-typical career path to new heights. She hopes that her vlogs will become her career and not just a part of it. “Here in America, everyone is so much more accepting,” Chen said. “Nothing is absolutely right or wrong, there’s always more answers for everything. You can have many different interpretations for everything and it’s all good. That’s something that I really admire and I want to embrace it in my future and in my career,” Chen said.

Make sure to look out for Corinne’s next vlog and subscribe to her channel.

Emma Brisbois

Emma joined The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading and show choir. Outside of school, she enjoys going to concerts, playing the piano and hanging out with friends. You can email her at [email protected]