The 4 Teams With the Best Odds to Win the 2018 NCAA Tournament

Virginia, Villanova, Michigan State, and Duke are the favorites to capture a national championship

March+Madness+2018+tournament+

March Madness 2018 tournament

March Madness 2018 tournament

Photo by my bookie.com

March Madness 2018 tournament

Photo by my bookie.com

Photo by my bookie.com

March Madness 2018 tournament

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

As soon as the brackets were released, people began picking who they thought would win the title and strive for a perfect bracket. They could have picked their favorite teams or pick a one seed. Fans hope that their team comes out on top, but no one knows due to the unpredictably of this tournament. So here is the four teams with the best chance to be crowned champions.

Virginia Cavaliers
Virginia enters the tournament with a 31-2 record and earned the overall #1 seed in the south region. The Cavaliers have a 23% chance to win the tournament according to BPI. Virginia has the best defense in college basketball and posted the most efficient defense in 17 years, according to kenpom. The defense for Virginia also hasn’t let an opponent score 70 points all season long and will look to use that defense to win the championship. They will also rely on sophomore Kyle Guy, who is the leading scorer for Virginia, who averages 14.1 points per game. With an elite defense and an improved offense, then Virginia is primed for a championship.

Villanova Wildcats
Villanova enters the tournament with a record of 30-4 and #1 seed in the East Region. The Wildcats have one of the best one-two punch of Jalen Brunson and Mikal Bridges. Brunson is the leader for Villanova, averaging 19.4 points per game and 4.7 assists per game, both team highs. Bridges averages 18 points per game and 5.4 rebounds per game. The offense is elite for Villanova, shooting 39.8% from the three and the country’s eighth lowest turnover rate. Their defense, however, is a bit concerning due to ranking 22nd nationally. Despite this, Villanova will be a favorite to win the championship.

Michigan State Spartans
After finishing 29-4, Michigan State earned a three seed in the Midwest region. The Spartans will rely on Miles Bridges, who averages 16.9 points per game and 6.9 rebounds per game, to be the catalyst for a long tournament run. Michigan State will also need sophomore Nick Ward, who averages 7.2 rebounds per game, to secure a lot of them. Teams standing in the way for a Spartans championship includes #1 seed Kansas and #2 seed Duke.

Duke Blue Devils
Duke secured a #2 seed in the tournament and plays in the Midwest region after finishing the season 26-7. The Blue Devils need freshman sensation and future lottery pick Marvin Bagley III to have a major impact in the game. He was one of the best players in the country this year, averaging 21.1 points per game and 11.5 rebounds per game. Duke will also need junior Grayson Allen to play a key role as well. He is a deadly three point shooter and could cause headaches for opposing teams if he gets hot from behind the arc. The Blue Devils will need these two players to play extremely well if they want to win another title.

Even though these teams have the best odds to win the tournament, they could be bounced by the opening week. Upsets and heavily favored teams will lose due to the chaos of March Madness. A underdog could easily take these teams down and ruin their championship dreams, which is the beauty of this tournament.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]