7 Ways to Nail a Job Interview

Tips and tricks to get the position you want

Adella Smolsky, Social Media Editor

1. Get to know the business beforehand
Knowing facts about where the business started or how the owner came into this line of business is always an impressive factor in an interview. The interviewer will see that you took extra time and ‘did your homework’ in order to prepare for your interview, which reflects well on you and your work ethic.

2. Dress to impress
Not to say that you must walk into your interview wearing $500 worth of clothing, but on the day of your interview you should probably take longer than your five-minute daily routine: a business casual pantsuit or dress would suffice. You want to show your future employer that you care about this job and that you are willing to give the effort required. If you are applying around a time where many other applicants are interviewing as well, wear something that will stand out, but not be too gaudy. Bright colored shirts and dresses are perfect choices.

3. Research about the position you are applying for
If you want to be a waitress/waiter, look for tips on serving at restaurants. If you’re looking to work in retail, go online to see ways you can improve your customer service skills. Talk to friends and family who have had a job similar to the one you are applying for, and see if they have any advice. Not only will this aid you in your interview, but also it will lead to professionalism once you begin working there.

4. Know your schedule and the schedule of the job you are applying for
If you want a part time job be sure to find a business hiring part time workers and vice versa. You don’t want to miss an opportunity solely because of scheduling issues, or even worse, become committed to a job that does not fit into your schedule. If you are looking for flexible hours, try a larger business; they tend to have more employees and therefore can give more time off. On the other hand, if you want a full time job, a smaller business would suit you well because they have less employees who get to work more hours.

5. Make a list of your accomplishments
It is highly likely that during your interview you will be asked, at least once, something along those lines of, “Why should we choose you for this position?” You want to be ready for this question because it is one of the most important. Do not be shy when they ask you this; you may feel like you’re bragging about yourself, but you aren’t. Let them know of your previous experience (if you have any), your grades, school accomplishments, athletic awards, leadership roles, special skills that you have, or anything else that sets you apart and shows good work ethic.

6. Try to go in with some experience in the area you are applying for
When hiring, businesses generally want someone who has done something of this sort before. This is not to say that if you are young and never had a job before that you don’t have a chance, just maybe get one or two experiences under your belt before you head off to an interview. If you want to become a waiter/waitress you could try volunteering at a dinner fundraiser. If you’re applying at a daycare, try babysitting a few families first.
This also is a good idea because you will need references for your interview. Your references do not have to be previous employers, but again it is impressive to have confirmation of your experience in the type of business.

7. Be confident
Employers want happy and positive people working for them. If you walk into your interview self assured and determined, there is very little that can stand in your way. Speak loud and clear, make eye contact, give a firm handshake, and thank them for their time. Remember that you presence, politeness, and punctuality are major deciding factors.

Adella Smolsky

Adella joined the Flightline in January of 2018. She is a senior this year, involved in show choir, theatre and student council. Outside of school she is involved in Omaha Fashion Week. You can contact her at [email protected]