Writing From Spain

Daily updates from students' journey from Omaha to Europe for spring break

Students visited the Cave of St. Michael in Gibraltar.

Photo by Gracie Killgore

Photo by Gracie Killgore

Gracie Killgore, Staff Reporter

March 3, 2018 — Upon arriving in Malaga, Spain after enduring hours of flights and layovers, I, along with the other 22 Skutt Catholic student travelers was greeted by the EF Educational Tours tour guide.

After exiting the airport, we boarded onto a tour bus and drove to a quaint Spanish restaurant located in Marbella, Spain. There, we were served traditional Spanish ham, bread, salami, and cheese. We also received a dish consisting of tuna, tomatoes, and olives.

We walked to the Iglesia de Nuestro Señora de la Encarnación to partake in mass. The church was ornately decorated with gold carvings and grand chandeliers. After mass had finished, we explored the city of Marbella for a short time and saw flowers embroidered on walls and many orange trees throughout the plaza. 

March 4, 2018 — After eating breakfast at our hotel, our group of Skutt Catholic students gathered on our tour bus to Gibraltar, a British territory located by the southern coast of Spain. Gibraltar is often known as “the rock” and in certain locations one can view the northern coast of Africa. At Gibraltar we toured St. Michael’s Cave and saw many of the Barbary apes who live on the rock of Gibraltar.

After visiting the apes, we ate lunch which included fish and chips, a popular dish in the United Kingdom. We were also served flan, a sponge based dessert.

Following our meal, we were allowed some free time to shop and explore the territory of Gibraltar. 

March 5, 2018 — On our way to Córdoba, our group made a stop at the village of Ronda, where a 200 year old bridge, called Puente Nuevo is located. The bridge overlooked a beautiful view of the gorge from below. We were able to cross the bridge and allowed free time to shop and eat lunch.

After our time in Ronda, we arrived at Córdoba and took a cooking class on how to make tapas, traditional appetizers of Spanish cuisine.  

March 6, 2018 — Our group visited the Patio de los Naranjos, which was a plaza filled with orange trees. We then toured an 8th century mezquita (mosque) located in Córdoba. This mezquita had 850 large columns and elaborate architecture.

After completing our trip to Córdoba, we rode the bus to Grenada, which is a bustling city located between the Sierra Nevada and the Mediterranean coast. At Granada, we attended a performance of the Gypsy Flamenco dancers. We viewed this performance in a traditional gypsy cave and learned much about the gypsy culture and way of life.

March 7, 2018 — We toured a building called the Alhambra, which was built in the 14th century and was the location where Christopher Columbus pitched his idea to sail to India to the king of Spain. The Alhambra had displays of mosaics and elaborate courtyards. We also toured the Generalife Palace, which was a place for the royalty to relax and enjoy their leisure time.

After touring the Alhambra and the Generalife Palace, our group participated in a scavenger hunt and city challenge to discover more about the city of Granada. Once we finished the scavenger hunt, we were given free time to shop and discover the city.

March 8, 2018 — First thing in the morning, we boarded the bus for a six hour ride to Madrid. On the way to this city, we stopped at Castilla- La Mancha to view the windmills located in this region where the novel “Don Quixote” was set.

We also made a stop at Toledo to have some free time to eat lunch and shop. While there, we also saw and marveled at a beautiful view of the city.

March 9, 2018 —We visited and toured the elaborate and grand Palacio Real (Royal Palace) built by King Philip V. The palace contains over 2,000 rooms, however we toured only about 15. We also visited a bullfighting arena located in Madrid.

After discovering these places, our group took a Spanish cooking class where we made a dish with calamari and a spanish omelet.

We also toured the Prado Museum which holds many artworks from around the world. This was our last full day in Spain and we leave tomorrow. I have learned about and experienced a new culture through this trip and am very grateful for this opportunity. I encourage others who are considering attending a trip like this to take part in this opportunity and discover a country one won’t soon forget.

Alaina Anderson

Alaina joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year and is involved in softball, student council and HOSA. In her free time, she enjoys traveling and going on mission trips. You can email her at [email protected]