The Flightline Selected as Finalist for National Award

Newspaper staff awarded spot in Pacemaker finals

Staff of The Flightline celebrate their recognition as Pacemaker Finalists

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Maddie Mollner, Student Life Editor

March 2, 2017 — The National Scholastic Press Association, or NSPA, named The Flightline a finalist for its highest honor Friday morning. The publication, along with 41 other scholastic news sites, were selected to compete for a Pacemaker, perhaps the most sought-after title in scholastic journalism.

The finalists were selected by NSPA’s judging panels, composed of journalists and journalism educators from across the country. This year’s finalists hail from 30 states and four countries.

SkuttCatholicFlightline.com will continue to be reviewed by NSPA judges this month as they continue to narrow the selection pool to determine which sites are deserving of the organization’s highest honor. Pacemaker winners will be selected shortly before the NSPA’s Spring Convention, which begins Thursday, April 12, in San Francisco, CA.

Nineteen of twenty Flightline staff members will be joined by delegates of Skutt Catholic’s Yearbook and Broadcast staffs in traveling to the convention next month. There, they will be honored as finalists with a plaque and will await the announcement of the Pacemaker award winners.

This is The Flightline’s second time being selected as a Pacemaker finalist. In 2016, Skutt Catholic’s newspaper ranked in the top 25 scholastic online news sources.

Maddie Mollner

Maddie joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school, she reads, collects flamboyant socks and hangs out in parks with her friends. You can email her at [email protected]