Rom-Com “Every Day” Fails to Reach Its Potential

Teen romance falls short in book-to-movie adaptation

"Every Day" was directed by Michael Sucsy, director of "The Vow" and "Grey Gardens." The movie was released on February 23rd and received mixed reviews from critics.

Photo by Facebook

Photo by Facebook

Natalie Pearson, Staff Reporter

I’m normally not one for cheesy romances, but “Every Day” had managed to pique my curiosity with its intriguing premise, so I went to the theater to see it. It wasn’t “The Notebook,” that’s for certain, but it wasn’t entirely awful either; it genuinely did have insightful themes and a good message, but ultimately failed in its poor execution and lack of direction.

“Every Day” is based off the book of the same name, starring the character “A,” a spirit who wakes up in a different body every day, living each day as a separate person. It’s lonely, and “A” lives out his days lacking a sense of belonging and identity—that is, until he meets Rhiannon (Angourie Rice), a girl at a local high school.

Needless to say, they fall in love, drama happens because of A living in a different body every day, all that. And that’s it. That’s the entire movie.

Honestly, it is beyond me how the producers found a way to take a perfectly original idea and make it into a cliché. What could have been an impactful movie is instead turned into another stereotypical high school drama, complete with character tropes such as “innocent girl” and “bad boy.”

Justin (Justice Smith), Rhiannon’s boyfriend, is a particular offender of this, saying all the cliché lines such as “have a nice life” and smoking cigarettes. While, gasp, Rhiannon is the opposite, having a sort of naïveté that is out of place in comparison to the serious topics the movie deals with.

But despite Justin and Rhiannon’s less than believable acting, “A,” manages to have a distinct personality despite being played by more than one actor. I loved quite a few scenes that he was in and there were some heartwarming moments that made me smile, no matter what he looked like.

I think that this is what the producers were trying to get at, that question of what makes you “you.” But in the end they simply tried putting in too many things at once and instead created a mishmash of clichés and shallow messages. It was confusing and it led to characters saying things and making decisions that didn’t make sense.

“Every Day” had the potential to be a poignant and emotional film but failed in its execution. Don’t misunderstand—it was an entertaining film, and there were some laugh-out-loud moments.

It managed to keep me engaged throughout the movie, but in the end it missed a lot of opportunities to leave a real impact on the audience. That’s precisely what made it so mediocre.

Natalie Pearson - Staff Reporter

Natalie became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a sophomore this year involved in band at Skutt Catholic and enjoys playing video games outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]