Spring Sports Preview 2018

Spring sports draw excitement as tryouts begin

Spring Sports Preview 2018

Bird’s eye view of the Skutt Catholic athletic complex

Jack McGonigal, Staff Reporter

The wait for spring sports season is quickly drawing to a close. Seven teams and five sports prepare to begin their 2018 seasons through a one week tryout period. Here is everything a SkyHawk student needs to know to get ready for this year’s spring in Skutt Catholic athletics.

Baseball:
The baseball team is coming off their first state championship season in school history. Expect to see many new faces up and down the roster, and this is one of three sports in the Spring being led under a new head coach. Tim Lakovic was previously an assistant in years prior, but this year he’s taking charge of the baseball program. “I just want to be a leader to the new faces on this team, and show them what varsity baseball is all about. If we show leadership to the non-seniors we should have a pretty good chance of going back to back.” Senior outfielder JD Daro said. The SkyHawks’ first game is scheduled for Thursday, March 15 at the Elkhorn Antlers.

Boys Track & Field:
The boys track team comes out this year, expecting to improve on last year’s team. The distance team lost a few current seniors who aren’t going out, and preparing for college. Coach Chris Gannon announced his new position as the Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Coach at Creighton University. Steve Carroll, the number one assistant to Gannon, will be the new head coach. “It will be important to encourage one another, and help our team in anyway to succeed.” Junior mid-distance runner Cole Mingo said. The boys track team features all sorts of talent across the board. The track team season starts on Thursday, March 15 at the Concordia Invite.

Girls Track & Field:
The girls’ track team brings many similar faces to the mid-distance and long distance teams. As for the short distance, many freshmen have decided to come out, and compete. The girls’ team has had only 1 state qualifier in the past two years. Current Junior Elizabeth Howard had the opportunity to throw at the state meet back in 2016. “Our goal is to be as supportive as possible, and earn as many medals, and meet victories as we can. It starts with the support, and the ultimate goal is to send as many girls to state as possible.” Senior Sydney Reeves said. The girls will also start out at the Concordia Invite Thursday, March 15.

Boys Golf:
Tiburon Golf Course is the spot you can see this year’s boys golf team practicing weekdays during the Spring. Senior Ryan O’Connell was the lone SkyHawk to make an appearance at the State Tournament a year ago, and the goal is to bring as many of his teammates with him this time around. “With the lineup we have this year, we need guys to medal in tournaments, because I feel like we could have a pretty good chance at taking home the State Championship trophy.” Junior Mason Cushing said. The tournaments are not the most ideal timewise for fans to come out and support, because they are all during the week beginning sometime in the morning. The Skutt Catholic golf team begins their season on their home course of Tiburon Tuesday, Mar. 27.

Boys Soccer:
Catch the boys’ soccer team under the lights of Moylan Field this Spring as they get set for one of the most anticipating seasons they’ve had in quite some time. The SkyHawks are led by their Senior leadership. They include the likes of Ed Davidson, Brady Foral, Ryan Mendick, Ryan Trout, Anga Dumba, and the man protecting the goal, Patrick Diedrich. Those are just the starting seniors, but many more come off the bench, to give Skutt Catholic a lot of depth up and down the lineup. “This will be my third year on the varsity level, the goal has always been the same, but the work ethic will be taken to another level this year, after failing to reach the State Tournament two years in a row now.” Junior Connor O’Dohrety said. Skutt Catholic will be looking to put the gold around their necks when May comes, but for now the SkyHawks open up their season March 17 with a tournament here at Skutt Catholic featuring Lexington, Bellevue West, and Omaha Westside.

Girls Soccer:
The 2-time defending State Champions are back in action looking for the “3-Peat”. Skutt Catholic loses several starters, but shouldn’t have too big of a problem filling those shoes. “Honestly I do not think we are as strong as my freshman and sophomore years, but I still think we are a state championship caliber team. We need to work hard, and know nothing should be taken for granted, or given to us.” Junior Laurin Mertz said. “The main competition in Class B for the SkyHawks will again be Gretna and Elkhorn South.” Mertz continued. SkyHawk fans will get many opportunities to cheer on the girl’s soccer team due to the number of home games on their schedule. They open up play at home against the Bellevue West Thunderbirds March 15.

Girls Tennis:
The girls tennis team is another spring sport featuring a new head coach. Head coach Chase Peterson is one more addition to the list of alumni on coaching staffs throughout the spectrum of sports here at Skutt Catholic. “There’s new talent to be brought up replacing the 4 seniors who graduated a year ago.” Senior Mady Swanstrom said. “I’m looking forward to making friends and memories that will last a lifetime.” Swanstrom continued. The tennis team features many new faces throughout all classes this year. The girls’ tennis team sets foot on their season on the road March 20.

The Skutt Catholic SkyHawks prepare to take on a spring that is fulfilled with promising seasons, and excitement from everyone. Catch the SkyHawks all around campus this spring. Spring sports begin March 15, and so you won’t have to wait too long to cheer on your SkyHawks.

Jack McGonigal

Jack joined the Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in Guardians, Skyhawks For Life and announces various sporting events at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school, he enjoys watching baseball, running and spending time with friends. You can email him at [email protected]