Skutt Catholic Basketball Officially State Bound

The SkyHawks defeat of Alliance clinches a berth to the state tournament

SkyHawk players celebrate after a made shot

Photo by Skutt basketball twitter

Photo by Skutt basketball twitter

Photo by Skutt basketball twitter

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

Going into the February 24 home ground against the Alliance Bulldogs, the SkyHawk basketball players knew what was at stake. With a victory, Skutt Catholic would earn a path to the state playoffs in Lincoln. However, they were playing a tough Alliance team that had everything to play for and wanted to advance to state as well. In the end, the SkyHawks rose up to the challenge and defeated Alliance using strong defense and good shooting.

The first quarter of the game was a tight contest between these two teams. Both teams traded baskets and Skutt Catholic maintained a narrow 15-13 lead as the first quarter came to an end. The SkyHawks managed to add to their lead in the second quarter, increasing the lead to eight. The score at half was a 35-27 SkyHawks lead. The Bulldogs hung close in the first half due to junior Mason Hiemstra, scoring 17 of his 20 points in the first 13 minutes of the game.

Skutt Catholic pulled away in the second half due to their stingy defense and hot shooting. They held the Bulldogs to a meager five points in the third quarter and the SkyHawks scored 13 in the third to increase their lead to 16 entering the final quarter of play. The fourth quarter was more of the same for Skutt Catholic, holding Alliance to 7 points and scoring 22 to win by a whooping 31 points. One of the main reasons that Alliance struggled so much in the second half was the SkyHawks holding Hiemstra to three points. The final score of the game was the SkyHawks 70 and the Bulldogs 39.

One of the main contributors to Skutt Catholic’s victory was sophomore Tyson Gordon. He was the leading scorer for the SkyHawks, scoring 19 points. Another contributor in the game was senior Austin Ash, he scored 16 points. He and Gordon combined for 35 points to help lead the SkyHawks to a state clinching victory. Junior Andrew Merfeld pitched in 11 points as well.

Alliance couldn’t earn a victory due to their over reliance on Hiemstra. He kept the team in the game in the first half, but once he struggled, the Bulldogs couldn’t keep up with Skutt Catholic. He scored over half of their points and was the only one in double figures for the Bulldogs. The next highest scorer was Corbin Stark, with 9 points. They combined for 29 of Alliance’s 39 points.

“Andrew Merfeld came off the bench and I think he really bothered (Hiemstra),” head Coach Kyle Jurgens said. “But he’s done that all year, he’s come off the bench and guarded the other team’s best player.” “He bothers guys pretty good,” Jurgens continued.

Skutt Catholic heads into the state playoffs as a #2 seed and is looking to earn a state title. They will need seniors Austin Ash and Jackson Gordon to lead the way. If the SkyHawks can continue playing tough defense and shoot well, then they could be primed for a state title.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “Skutt Catholic Basketball Officially State Bound”

1. Mr. E on March 2nd, 2018 7:43 am

Great gamer, BK.

• Skutt Catholic Basketball Officially State Bound

Ukraine Declares Martial Law

Advent Drive Commences and Competition Ensues

Two Trials Down, Two to Go

New Entryway Improves School Safety

One-Act Takes Two at Kearney

Journalist Jim Acosta Banned from White House

Dr. Seuss’ “The Grinch” Receives an Upgrade

Minority Rule

2-Alarm Apartment Fire Destroys Homes, Misplaces Families

Voters Cast Ballots for Midterm Election Day