Mrs. Deane: Essential Oils Connoisseur and Photographer

Sophomore English teacher Mrs Deane shares greatest accomplishments, factoids.

Mrs+Deane+poses+with+11+of+her+former+students+in+Wanblee%2C+SD+on+a+service+trip.+
Mrs Deane poses with 11 of her former students in Wanblee, SD on a service trip.

Photo by @DeanesWorld (twitter)

Photo by @DeanesWorld (twitter)

Clara Pohlman, Social Media Editor

World Studies teacher and devoted literature expert- these can only describe the one and only Mrs. Kristen Deane. This Skutt Catholic English teacher has led a life of triumph and hard work, which is reflected in her fervor for teaching and for helping students grow.

This week, The Flightline sat down to learn more about this influential fixture of our school.

Why did you want to become a teacher?

“I really kind of always knew. I would play school relentlessly; my brother loathed me for that. My high school senior English teacher saw me helping a group of students with Hamlet, and she pulled me out and knew that I was having a rough time in life. She said she knew that I was a natural teacher and asked if I was considering careers.”

Describe your college process.

“I am the first person in my whole family to go to college. My parents didn’t; my mom barely finished high school. My family was not encouraging about me becoming a teacher. They wanted me to be a doctor or a lawyer.

I started off at UNL to try to make them proud, and it just didn’t work out. I switched to Metro and got my associates in liberal arts, much to my parents’ dismay. And transferred to the University of Illinois in a selective English program. That’s where I got my bachelors, and right when I was done there, I went to the College of Saint Mary and got my masters degree.”

From the time I graduated high school to the time I graduated with my Master’s, it was 11 years.

How did you get to teach at Skutt Catholic?

“There was a teacher who was having a baby, and she wanted to focus on that. Mr Bailey knew one of my professors, and she told him to pursue me. So Skutt contacted me and asked me to come in for an interview.

I cried when I got the phone call from

Skutt. I had a family to support, so I totally gave that all to God. It took a lot of faith, and I told myself that God was going to put me where he wanted me.”

What are your favorite hobbies, pastimes, things, etc?

“My number one hobby beside my family is reading, but I read everything. I read non- fiction, like clinical studies and case studies. That’s how I fell into essential oils, because I like to read about the pharmaceutical industry. I strive to try holistic answers first before western medicine. It’s taught me a lot about how nature gives us things to help heal our bodies.”

“I do amateur photography; I take newborn and maternity pictures. I try to do it for free because I was really poor growing up, and I don’t have a lot of pictures from my childhood. Right at the beginning of starting a family is when I know people need good photos taken, which can sometimes be a budget buster. I try to help families in the best ways I can provide.”

Mrs. Deane has certainly led a hardworking life, and Skutt Catholic’s English Department benefited from the gain of her teaching skills. According to her, she owes all of her successes to God and is excited to continue her teaching and helping career.

Clara Pohlman - Social Media Editor

Clara became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year involved in show choir and Student Council at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school she blogs (claratyblog.wordpress.com) and sings non-stop. You can email her at [email protected]