Ms. French: Building Relationships and Sharing Faith

How Campus Minister leaves impact on students

Ms.+French+with+students+in+campus+ministry+
Ms. French with students in campus ministry

Photo by Selena Thompson

Photo by Selena Thompson

Hope Stratman, Features Editor

Say you were to stroll out of the vertex of the AD and BC hallways at 3:25 on a Tuesday. If you glance to your right, you’d likely see 10-15 students packed into a fairly small room; some are talking, some are drawing, some are laughing their heads off. Now, if you to go to the door and glance in, you’d likely see a woman, smiling but focused, caught in conversation with a student. This woman is Ms. French.

If you’ve been at all involved in Skutt Catholic’s religious scene, you probably know the cheerful face of our campus minister, Ms. Christine French. However, French’s influence goes beyond the role that she plays in setting up ministry counsel events; her friendly nature, good advice and passion for discussions that matter have made her a companion and mentor for a number of students.

Photo by @CFrenchSkyHawk
Ms. French connecting with students on the March for Life

French, a Skutt Catholic alum, took over the position of Campus Minister at the start of the 2015-2016 school year. One reason French sought out the position was so that she could work with teenagers. “There’s so much hope and possibility [in teens],” French said. “They are fun, energetic, and open to changing their opinion.” French worked with high schoolers before coming to Skutt Catholic as well; for five years, she taught junior and senior math on the Rosebud Reservation in Mission, SD.

And Ms. French is very suited for work with teens. She, being young herself, still remembers the struggles and joys of high school, and because of that she is especially able to empathize with and advise students in their day-to-day lives. She often has deep talks with students after school, during study halls or in Ministry Council activities. “Ms. French is open to talk about anything and will open your mind to a whole new line of thinking,” said freshman Theresa Howard.

French’s empathy and understanding comes up particularly in matters of faith. French left the Church in high school and didn’t come back to the faith until years later; because of this, she is able to understand and relate to students who are going through a crisis of faith. “It’s cool to see students come to me with the exact faith questions I had when I was in high school,” French said, “And to try to answer them in a way that would have been helpful for me and is hopefully helpful for them.”

The most rewarding part of my relationships at Skutt has been seeing students grow and change and seeing myself change as a result of those relationships.”

— Christine French

One reason students are so comfortable going to French with questions or thoughts in the first place is because she has made Campus Ministry so welcoming; she has allowed students to spend time there before and after school or during study halls. “I love that Ms. French keeps the space open,” said sophomore Maddie Masker. “It’s nice for people who may struggle with their faith and don’t want to talk about it; by sitting in there, it may draw them to talk about it,” Masker continues. The students that spend time in campus ministry have found it to be a second home and a safe place within Skutt Catholic, as well as a place where they can be open about faith.

Photo by @CFrenchSkyHawk
French with the members of The Angels

French, in everything from answering faith questions to giving advice to simply providing a safe space for students, has been making a huge difference within the halls of Skutt Catholic. In the words of junior Selena Thompson, “Ms. French is always trying to make the world and especially our school a better place.”

Hope Stratman - Features Editor

Hope became a member of The Flightline in August of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in activities including Speech and FBLA. Outside of school, she enjoys lists, photography, and naming inanimate objects. You can email her at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “Ms. French: Building Relationships and Sharing Faith”

1. Will Fletcher on March 1st, 2018 9:05 am

Pant suits are the best suits

[Reply]

• Ms. French: Building Relationships and Sharing Faith

Altar’d State: Giving Back While Dressing Up

Amazing Alumni

Nate Jensen: From Skutt Catholic to NASA

Behind the Scenes at the Henry Doorly Zoo

The Benefits of Cursive Handwriting

Interview

Stevie Yaghmour: Calculus Aficionado, Master Trumpeter

Three Storylines to Watch in the 2018 MLB Season

Miss Dongilli: Fashion Icon and Spanish Teacher Extraordinaire

March Madness Takes Over Omaha

Mrs. Twist: Juggling Life and Students

Photo Essay: St. Patrick’s Day Parade 2018