Skutt Catholic Bowling Gains Local Acclaim

Bowling team recognized for major accomplishments

Zachary Valgora ‘18 (L) and Cody Gulseth ‘18 are members of the Skutt Catholic bowling team.

Colin Fullinfaw, Copy Editor

This past bowling season for Skutt Catholic was consequential. With many high points and certainly some low points, the 2017-2018 bowling season saw many eyes turn toward the players. Determination is key in deciding whether an athletic season will be good, and Skutt Catholic took advantage of that.

Many athletic and activity clubs have made their mark on Skutt Catholic, from soccer to volleyball. While those sports are important, one activity is taking the Omaha metropolitan area by storm: bowling. This year, Skutt Catholic’s bowling team placed first in the Omaha Metro High School Bowling’s championship match. The varsity boys’ team placed first in the overall rankings, with 151 points, compared to second place Millard West, which scored 131 points.

Starting practices at 4 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday in October, the team bowls three games every practice. “Each game costs about a dollar,” senior Zachary Valgora said. In November, the local bowling league begins play, and start on Mondays at 4 p.m. “After that, we practiced only on Wednesday and Friday every week to get the team ready for competitions,” Valgora continued.

The reasoning behind the stellar performances were the players. Senior Nolan Lange averaged 199 points over the span of 18 games, according to the Omaha Metro High School Bowling’s website. In that same statistics sheet, Lange had a personal best of 267 points. Valgora earned himself 300 points in one game, one of the highest scores possible in a single game of bowling. “It was a pretty phenomenal accomplishment for me,” Valgora said of his accomplishment. “Getting 300 points in a game was one of the highlights of the season for me for sure,” Valgora continued.

Despite all the ups that took place during the season, there were a few downs as well. “A low point would be our consistency,” Lange said. “We couldn’t seem to finish when we were doing well in tournaments; we could never really finish off and win a tournament until the playoff [tournament],” Lange continued. The stress might have caught up with them a little while in the swing of things, but they didn’t let it deter them of the bigger picture. “We ended getting first in the championship and we were all pretty stoked about that, given our consistency earlier on,” Lange said.

Bowling is only beginning to take the school by storm, with more players signing up every season. The talented athletes coupled with the coaching staff makes for a team with the stamina and dedication needed for a stunning athletic season. With practice makes perfect, and over time, Skutt Catholic’s bowling team will be back and better than ever, ready to show Omaha their talent.

Colin Fullinfaw - Copy Editor

Colin became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year and is involved in Cross Country. In his free time he enjoys spending time with his dog, Harley. You can email him at [email protected]