Speech Team Picks Up Momentum for State

Skutt Catholic speech team sweeps RCC and sets their sights on districts

Speech Team Picks Up Momentum for State

The Skutt Catholic Speech Team, led by Coach Brent Goetzinger, poses with their RCC championship plaque.

Photo by @ballerspeechers (Twitter)

Photo by @ballerspeechers (Twitter)

Photo by @ballerspeechers (Twitter)

Clara Pohlman, Social Media Editor

After coming off of their victorious weekend at back-to-back tournaments, the Skutt Catholic speech team is hopeful for the remainder of their season. On Friday, Feb. 16, the team hosted the annual River Cities Conference tournament and took first place.

All 18 of the Skutt Catholic speech entries placed in the top three finalists of the day. According to assistant speech coach and alum, Jack Hilgert, this was “the first time since 2015, my junior year, that all entries medaled.” This weekend was the great reveal of the speech team’s “district team,” which made it an important competition for the projected state-qualifying success of the group.

After the long speech-filled day on that Friday came yet another tournament in Grand Island, Nebraska. With a bus filled with RCC champions, leaving at 5:30 a.m., the team was geared up for another successful day. Though the tournament proved to be a challenge for the team, Skutt Catholic ended up receiving the “quality award.”

This means that even though they did not bring the most competitors, Skutt Catholic speech-ers had the greatest amount of success within their respective events. They also went home with third overall and two students earning a bid to speech nationals in Kansas City, MO.

Up until this moment in the season, Skutt Catholic speech has been doing better than ever. As with any competitive activity there have been a few minor upsets for the team, but overall the group has taken several first places home.

“Friday and Saturday were really great meets for us as a team because it allowed us to see our hard work paying off,” said Senior Emerson Hughes. “It also showed us that we have a lot farther to go before districts and state,” Hughes continued.

The team is hopeful to qualify two events in each category for the state tournament. Districts is to be held at Louisville High School on Wednesday, March 15. The team is practicing hard in the weeks to come and hopes to regain their state runner- up title from last year, while also reaching for their ultimate goal of state champions.

“I will be adequately happy if we win state and if not, that result would be sad,” said head coach Mr. Brent Goetzinger.

Clara Pohlman

Clara joined the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in speech, show choir, and theatre. Outside of school she loves working as a princess for children's birthday parties. You can email her at [email protected]