11 Unique Ways to Make Your Uniform Stylish

A guide to personalization while still abiding by the guidelines

Adella Smolsky, Social Media Editor

Many students believe that because we must wear uniforms, that we can’t express ourselves in our outfits. These are just some ideas to help if you want to add a little something to your mundane uniform; it all really is based on personal preference. When it comes down to it, what you wear with your uniform and how you present yourself completely depends on you and your comfort level. Remember that no matter what you wear you always look beautiful.

1. Headbands
Headbands are a classic way to add your own flair to an outfit. There are athletic options and strictly fashion options. They can be worn with any hairstyle and are very versatile. Whether you are matching your headband with your uniform, or adding a splash of color to your outfit, headbands are always a great way to go.

Sophomore Kelly Nowak wears her gray headband for comfort and style.

2. Jewelry
Everyone has that piece of jewelry that they just love and can’t wait to share; the beauty is that everyone has something different. Rings have become increasingly popular lately, as well as “Kendra Scott” necklaces. Bracelets and earrings are also small things that help to stand out in an outfit ensemble.

Freshman Vanessa Fenton wears a crystal necklace.

3. Makeup
In the past few years makeup has become more of an art than ever. People are not just using makeup to accentuate their natural looks, they are also using some of their favorite vibrant colors to create a dramatic and unique effect. Eyeliner, highlight, and eyebrow products are some of the beloved products on the market right now just to name a few.

Junior Morgan Dvorak goes for a subtle makeup look with natural eyeshadow, eyeliner, and brow products.

4. Cardigans
Although they are technically already a part of the uniform, cardigans add class and style to any look. They are simple and comfortable accessories that are extremely versatile. Cardigans add the block of color to compliment the pattern on the skirt, or, if you’re wearing pants, they add contrast between the top and bottom.

Sophomore Claire Osantowski wears a red cardigan because it has pockets and is stylish.

5. Socks
One of many students’ favorite statement pieces are socks. They take a fraction of the effort as some of the other options on the list and are appealing to just about everyone. Whether they have phrases, bright colors, or are fuzzy, socks are a fun and silly way to make yourself stand out.

Junior Kelsey Hanna loves Converse anything and shows that through her Converse brand socks.

6. Tights/leggings
The fashion trend where leggings are worn as pants has become accepted by just about everyone. Cute leggings and tights designs have become a staple of almost every girl’s wardrobe, making them a perfect statement piece for your uniform, under a skirt of course. Fishnet or solid tights, athletic leggings, or bold colors of either of the two are all diversities that can be used to make your uniform different.

Freshman Amanda Smolsky wears cotton leggings with a floral pattern.

7. Shoes
Shoes always have and always will be a great option to show diversity in students’ outfit choices while still abiding by the school’s uniform code. Some students choose to wear slippers or fuzzy slide ons, while others choose the even more adventurous route of combat, heeled, or “UGG” boots. Athletic shoes are always a comfortable choice and can be found in just about every color to satisfy everyone’s personality and style choices.

Junior Lily Heyne goes for a simple yet classic look with Converse shoes.

8. Hairstyle
Braids? Curls? Pony tail? Wavy? Straightened? When it comes to hair there are so many options! You can style it the night before in order to create the look you want for the morning, or if you’re really feeling adventurous you can wake up a few minutes early to style your hair. Hairstyles help to give yourself that confidence you need throughout your day.

Junior Anna Johnson curls her hair for the school day.

9. Glasses
Society’s view on glasses has rapidly made the switch from “geek” to “chic.” Glasses are no longer solely a necessity for people, but have become a bold fashion statement. Many students are going for large, thick rimmed glasses that are square or rounded nowadays.

Freshman Juliana Drzaic has a unique but trendy glasses look.

10. Backpack/lunch
Another personal expression people like to show is through their backpacks and lunchboxes. With Vera Bradley and other brands’ matching sets, it’s no wonder how popular these have become. Adding pins, stickers, and personalization items also are a way that many students express themselves and their beliefs.

Junior Ann Gregory with her matching lunchbox and car keys.

11. Nail polish
Nail polish is a smaller and a bit more long lasting option. With thousands of colors and design to choose from, it’s no wonder that “nail art” has become such a popular trend. Many students coordinate the colors with their uniforms, or with colors that correspond with the season. However you choose to wear it, nail polish will add a spark of originality.

Foreign exchange student Barbi Eördögh wears her signature red color of nail polish.

Adella Smolsky

Adella joined the Flightline in January of 2018. She is a senior this year, involved in show choir, theatre and student council. Outside of school she is involved in Omaha Fashion Week. You can contact her at [email protected]