Boys Swimming Triumphs at RCC Meet

Boys Swimming Triumphs at RCC Meet

SkyHawk swimmers after their successful meet

Photo by Skutt Catholic Twitter

Photo by Skutt Catholic Twitter

Photo by Skutt Catholic Twitter

Bob Killgore, Sports Editor

The SkyHawks arrived at Ralston High School to try to capture a RCC title. To achieve this goal, they had to beat teams such as Ralston, Beatrice, and Gross. They also needed strong performances by their swimmers and try to get as much people on the podium as possible. The team accomplished this and blew out the competition, scoring 256 points behind school record times and many top finishers. The girls also fared well in this meet, finishing in third place.

One of the swimmers that was instrumental to Skutt Catholic’s success was John Kramer. His performance was amazing, as he earned two first place finishes and beat the school record in the 500 freestyle. Kramer’s time was 5:04:55, crushing the school record. He also placed first in the 200 freestyle, with a time of 1:52:91, edging out 2nd place finisher Louis Gilmore by a minute.

Many events went well for Skutt Catholic, and the 100 breathstroke was no expectation The SkyHawks placed three swimmers in the top six. The athletes names are Eric Melrose, Levi Kicken, and Fernando Ferrer. Kicken’s time was 1:07:90, Melrose’s time was 1:08:40, and Ferrer’s time was 1:11:61. This was an excellent showing for the SkyHawks and scored points for them.

The 100 backstroke was another successful event for the SkyHawks. Like the 100 breathstroke, Skutt Catholic placed three swimmers in the top six. Luke Capoun finished third with a time of 1:09:34. Skyler Davis placed fifth, with a time of 1:09:92. Senior Stevie Yaghmour finished one spot behind Davis, with a time of 1:10:45. This was another event that the SkyHawks flourished in and scored points for the team.

On the girls side, one of the strongest races they had was the 500 freestyle, in which Skutt Catholic swimmers finished in first and second place. Maggie Kramer earned first place with a time of 5:23 and Zoe Weland was 2nd with a time of 5:30:27. Weland also earned 2nd place in the 200 individual medley, with a time of 2:21:63. Another swimmer that performed well was Cecilia Ferrer, placing 3rd in the 200 individual medley and 4th in the 100 breathstroke.

The relays for both the girls and the boys team. In both the 400 freestyle relay and 200 freestyle relay, the girls placed 2nd. On the boys side, the 200 freestyle relay team placed first with a time 1:37:17. In the 200 medley and the 400 freestyle relay, the team placed 2nd, being Ralston.

The boys swam extremely well and secured a RCC title. The boys 1st place finish and the girls 3rd place finish will give swimmers momentum for state. The team will look to send athletes to state and cap off an excellent season.

“This was one of the best showings of the season and a lot of our swimmers broke their personal record”, said head coach Mr.Moon. “We will look to have the same success at state, Moon continued.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]