Wrestlers Crowned District Champions in York

Nine wrestlers advance to state competition

Skutt Catholic Wrestling has the most state titles of all the school's activities.

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook

Photo by Skutt Catholic Yearbook

Jack McGonigal, Staff Reporter

Feb. 10, 2018 — Skutt Catholic’s wrestling team had a successful district meet this weekend.

The two-day district tournament began Friday in York, Nebr. Skutt Catholic wrestlers started the day off with quick pins from sophomore 120 pounder Joey Orsi, and 160 pound junior Alex VanDyke. Soon after, 195 pound senior Ben Altman and sophomore Eli Jansen pinned their first opponents as well.

Following the strong start, Skutt Catholic kept themselves on top and stayed consistent throughout the tournament.

Nick Stoltenberg winning his Championship match.

Seniors Billy Higgins and Stone Mendez wrestled exactly as expected in day one by defeating their opponents in the first two rounds. Lightweights Nate Rubino and Caleb Lazure were top seeds in their brackets, and each achieved a pin in their round.

The SkyHawks ended day one with 63.5 points and 8 of their 13 wrestlers advanced to semifinals.

It was day two, and several SkyHawks competed for births to the state meet, and a District Championship. At the completion of semifinals, nine Skutt Catholic wrestlers had clinched a spot in next week’s state competition. Ben Altman would finish 3rd place at 195, along with Joey Orsi at 120.

That leaves six SkyHawk wrestlers as District champions. Billy Higgins, Nate Rubino, Nick Stoltenberg, Caleb Lazure, Alex VanDyke, and Eli Jansen will all head to the state meet.

Skutt Catholic is looking for their 20th state championship in school history. The State Meet begins Thursday, Feb. 15 at CenturyLink Center Omaha, and will conclude Saturday, Feb. 17.

Jack McGonigal

Jack joined the Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in Guardians, Skyhawks For Life and announces various sporting events at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school, he enjoys watching baseball, running and spending time with friends. You can email him at [email protected]