Weeder Twins: Two Minds Are Greater Than One

On-court chemistry of Hayley and Hannah Weeder scores in girl’s basketball

Hayley(left) and Hannah(right) posing in the main gym

Photo by Zoe Clark

Photo by Zoe Clark

Zoe Clark, Copy Editor

The bleachers fill with parents and students alike. Odors of sweat and leather mingle with the aroma of popcorn being sold down the hall. The crowd begins to roar as jersey number 4, Hannah Weeder, catches the pass from jersey number 22, Hayley Weeder, and swooshes a three-pointer.

In any sport, cooperation and teamwork play a vital role in the success of the team. Twins Hayley and Hannah Weeder, members of the Skutt Catholic Girls Varsity basketball, attest to this.

The twins have been on the same basketball team since first grade, and it shows. They began playing in the YMCA league and did camps at Creighton in the summers, before eventually going on to play for Saint Wenceslaus and now, Skutt Catholic.

“You can tell that they’ve played a lot together,” said Girl’s Basketball Coach Marty Plum. “If one is moving in a certain direction, the other one reads it and reacts to that differently than other players would,” Plum said.

“So since we’ve been playing together for so long, we know what we are each gonna do,” said junior Hannah Weeder. “We have a chemistry together that just makes things work,” Hannah continued.

Years of practice have taught the girls to anticipate and plan moves. With Hannah playing shooting guard and Hayley bringing the ball down the court as a point guard, they often are placed into play simultaneously.

“If I get a fast break, I know that Hannah is gonna be running down the court to the left corner, ready to shoot a three,” said junior Hayley Weeder.

The twins attest to being able to be hard on each other and being able to learn from the other’s mistakes. Being direct with each other allows for a growth in their abilities.

Photo by Zoe Clark
Weeder twins posing in gym hallway

“Normally, in our arguments, we like to scream at each other, but then five minutes later, it’s like, ‘Hey, how’s your day going?’” said Hayley. “We don’t fight a ton, but when we do, it’s over dumb stuff,” she continued.

The Weeder twins remain a unified front, both on and off the field, choosing not to let any disagreements affect their game-winning attitudes. “I mean, maybe I won’t pass to her, but that’s the extent of it,” Hannah said.

Looking to the future, they are not sure what they want to do for colleges. “I don’t want to put down the education I want to get just to play basketball,” Hannah said. “Though I will definitely do intramurals, and maybe even club.”

According to the Weeder twins, the best part about being on a team with your sibling is pushing one another to be the best version of yourself. Hayley has worked on improving her shooting skills to beat Hannah, the alleged better scorer. Meanwhile, Hannah cites Hayley as her reason for becoming a better ball handler.

“It’s always a benefit to us the more any of our kids play together,” Plum said. “Those guys just happen to live at the same house.”

Clark - Copy Editor

Zoe became a member of The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year involved in robotics, academic decathlon, and many other electives, and spends what little free time she has reading. You can email her at [email protected]